Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Finally Some New Additions  (Read 771 times)

Offline Marti Vltori

• Consul
Finally Some New Additions
« on: May 23, 2021, 08:40:31 pm »
Several years had gone by without any new acquisitions to my Roman Imperial collection. It is getting to the point that they are difficult to obtain.

But finally bit the bullet and got these three recently:

Pupienus (A.D. 238)
AE Sestertius, A.D. 238, Rome, 31mm, 18.53g, 0°, RIC IVii 15, C 30; rare.
Obv: IMP CAES M CLOD PVPIENVS AVG. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: PM TR P COS II PP. Emperor standing left, holding branch and parazonium; S C in field.

Balbinus (A.D. 238)
Orichalcum Sestertius, A.D. 238, Rome, 30.0mm, 19.76g, 0°, RIC IVii 15, C 11; rare.
Obv: IMB CAES D CAEL BALBINVS AVG. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: LIBERALITAS AVGVSTORVM. Liberalitas standing left, holding abacus and cornucopia; S C in field.

Hostilian (A.D. 251)
AE Sestertius, A.D. 251 (as Caesar), Rome, 27mm, 19.0g, ~10°, RIC IV 215a; rare.
Obv: C VALENS HOSTIL MES QVINTVS N C. Bare heads, draped bust right.
Rev: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS. Apollo seated left, holding branch & resting elbow on lyre. S C in ex.

My intent is to collect everyone from Julius Caesar to Marcian/Valentinian III. As it stands I need Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Gordian I, Gordian II, Constantius III and Valentinian III.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Re: Finally Some New Additions
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 07:07:11 am »
Lovely collection and great photos, Marti. You have a very very nice website.

Quote from: Marti Vltori
My intent is to collect everyone from Julius Caesar to Marcian/Valentinian III. As it stands I need Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Gordian I, Gordian II, Constantius III and Valentinian III.

Such a short 'want list,'  though still with its challenges.  I surmise you are only collecting the official emperors, and not usurpers or family members.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Marti Vltori

• Consul
Re: Finally Some New Additions
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 06:34:08 pm »
Hi Anaximander, Yes just official emperors (including of course the many usurpers who became legitimate emperors), no family members, no provincials, AVG issues whenever possible/practical.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity