Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek AE  (Read 366 times)

Offline solon

• Caesar
Greek AE
« on: December 06, 2022, 09:23:04 am »
AE 21mm.  8.60g.

Laureate head of Zeus right / Caps of the Dioscouri surmounted by stars. I think I can barely see ...  :Greek_Omega: :GreeK_Sigma: to right, probably

ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ?.  I can't make the inscriptions on left unfortunately but there may be  :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Omicron:?

The closest possibility I could find is in Synnada of Phrygia, but unfortunately the reverse doesn't quite fit!

Reference is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Offline solon

• Caesar
Re: Greek AE
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 04:35:32 am »

Perhaps new enlarged pictures will be helpful in illuminating this coin!

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 12:13:45 am »
Hi folks,

The obverse portrait looks like Zeus or Herakles. At left, I see what appears to be a :Greek_Iota:. That is odd. It is similar to the :Greek_Iota: that is found on Roman Republic AE As Janus/prow coins. Could it be a mark of value?

On the reverse, at left, I see OPO (as solon suggested) or O :Greek_Phi: O.

Meepzorp

Offline solon

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 06:13:48 am »

Thank you Meepzorp, since you're the only one commenting so far, chances are it's either an early Roman, Synnada or even perhaps a coin of Orontas!

In any case, it seems highly likely that this may be an extremely rare or yet unpublished coin!

I'm sure one of the experts can shed some light on this issue.

Offline solon

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 07:44:26 am »

If there  is anyone who can help solve this riddle in any way (I'm sure there are certainly some among the experts!) I would be grateful.

Thank you for your help and time.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 11:12:12 am »
I tried coin archives. No matches. The closest had a bust of Hadrian obverse. PHOENICIA, Tripolis. Hadrian. AD 117-138. Æ (14mm, 3.10 g, 12h). Dated CY 428 (AD 117). Laureate bust right, slight drapery / Two pilei (caps of the Dioscuri) surmounted by stars. BMC 56; RPC III 3831. VF, brown surfaces, light roughness. I don't think it is a match...
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline solon

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 11:55:27 am »

Thank you Joe.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity