Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Galba Sestertius  (Read 503 times)

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
Galba Sestertius
« on: May 21, 2022, 04:57:11 pm »
Opinions on this Galba Sestertius please one friend of mine who studies coins is of the belief that she has no concerns with regards to its authenticity where as a collector friend has serious questions about its authenticity. So was just hoping for more opinions if ok please guys. Coin weighs 23.4g and measures about 33mm. For what it's worth I found the seller to be very genuine in their belief that the coin was genuine but it was passed doen from a passed relative so provenance is effectively unknown. Have a good weekend.
Stuart

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Galba Sestertius
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 07:40:06 pm »
Looks OK to me.
PeteB

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 05:01:50 am »
Morning Pete, thanks for the reply, to my very untrained eye I team of the opinion that the coin is likely genuine aswell but its nice to get affirmation from others with greater knowledge than myself so thanks again :)

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 07:25:46 am »
One thing is almost 100% sure with this flan crack, not a cast coin !
DT

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 08:39:02 am »
Hahaha afternoon Dom, indeed I appreciate the crack would have put many off but it was priced more than fairly and was a fairly inexpensive way to purchase a coin I'd of not been able to normally :)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 03:43:02 pm »
Looks OK to me apart from the obverse being harshly cleaned.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity