Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Seal of Theodoros Kandidatos? 7th-8th Century? 20.23 mm 13.42g  (Read 528 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Seal of Theodoros Kandidatos? 7th-8th Century? 20.23 mm 13.42g
« on: September 05, 2021, 09:44:23 pm »
I have been working on identifying this interesting Byzantine seal.  It measures 20.23 mm and weighs 13.42g. 
On the obverse is ΘΕΟΤΟΚΕ ΒΟΗΘΗ within a beaded circle 
On the reverse, I believe that there is within a beaded circle:

[ :Greek_Theta_2:  :Greek_epsilon:  ]
 :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Delta:  :Greek_omega_small:  :Greek_Rho:  :Greek_omega_small:
 :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Delta:
 :Greek_Alpha:  :Greek_Tau:  :Greek_omega_small:  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:

I think that it reads:  Theotokos, help Theodoros kandidatos.  It appears to date to the 7th/8th Century.  Am I correct?

Kandidatos was a military rank? 

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Seal of Theodoros Kandidatos? 7th-8th Century? 20.23 mm 13.42g
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 04:58:04 am »
Yes, you read that right. Late 7th-8th century. A kandidatos was originally a member of the imperial guard (the later emperor Justinian served as candidatus for Anastasius). By the time of your seal it was a court dignity.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Seal of Theodoros Kandidatos? 7th-8th Century? 20.23 mm 13.42g
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 11:15:27 am »
Gert

Thank you for confirming my identification of this nice seal!

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity