Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tesserae - new page on wildwinds  (Read 1216 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Tesserae - new page on wildwinds
« on: December 26, 2012, 01:03:42 pm »
Hi all,
NOTE: NEW URL

I uploaded a new page to wildwinds yesterday, it's not linked to any of the menus yet, but I thought I'd let you know it was there. PB and AE tesserae - many with only sellers' references, as I couldn't find any "proper" references, e.g.
FAC 17533: PB Tessera, time of Augustus. Cyprus mint, 3.45g, 17.3mm. Hippocamp right, cornucopiae over shoulder, small head behind, P_E_ below. Blank. FAC 17533 (= Forum Ancient Coin Sales, art. 17533).

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/tesserae/i.html

For simplicity's sake, I may just add it to the wildwinds RIC menu, otherwise I would need to change too many scripts and bits and bobs. There is already an "anonymous" item in the ww. RIC menu, so one more shouldn't hurt  :)
I also have a veeeery large xls file of PB and AE tesserae but I need to sort it out. Should be online sometime in January.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Tesserae - new page on wildwinds
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:58:48 am »
Great effort, Helvetica. No doubt it's the best online resource for tesserae.
Regards
Gert

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 02:15:19 pm »
Really great job!  While I have always liked the "naughty" tesserae, I had never seen the bone tessarae before.  Very interesting.

As always thanks for the great work you do over at wild winds.com!

Cliff
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 05:58:01 pm »
Impressive listing!  Many more than i expected.  Is there a bibliography that shows the full references, ie what boersema is short for?
Kevin

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 08:37:58 am »
'Boersema' is my last name, and those tesserae are from the sold coin archive from my Vcoins store as well as a few from my own collection. Many of the other references are stock numbers and auction lots, and a few of the standard references (as Helvetica stated at the top of the page). But I must admit that I don't recognize some of those as well.

If you want to learn more about these, I would advise buying Rostowzew's work and the two books by Mechtild Overbeck on 'Bleimarken' in Munich and Milan. At least Overbeck's books are fairly easy to get and not very expensive. As far as I know there is virtually nothing on tesserae published in English.
Regards
Gert

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:04:24 pm »
Gert is correct - there are no catalogs available in English. There are, however, two very important articles by M.K. Thornton:

Thornton, M. K. 1976. “The Roman Lead Tesserae.” Archaeological News 5: 65–70.
———. 1980. “The Roman Lead Tesserae : Observations on Two Historical Problems Author.” Historia: Zeitschrift Für Alte Geschichte 29 (3): 335–355.

As far as catalogs, the best most complete is Rostovtzev's 1903 sylloge. It is written in Latin, but apart from the introduction, it should be simple enough for most people to handle, at least with the aid of Google translate. A Forni reprint is available here at Forum (item code BOF16). A Google Books version is available here: http://books.google.com/books/about/Tesserarum_urbis_Romae_et_suburbi_plumbe.html?id=FDovAAAAMAAJ. Overbeck's books are excellent as well. They are very well illustrated, which is important to the interpretation of the often-crude images on tesserae. Unfortunately, these all only cover issues from the city of Rome and the immediate area - issues from Spain, Gaul, Greece, Asia Minor, and Egypt are necessarily covered elsewhere.

Dane - great job! Having such a grouping of tesserae in one place will make it much easier for people to stumble across them and develop an interest. Thanks!

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:24:21 am »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info! 

Gert, I had thought Boersema was associated with you but had assumed it referred to an article or catalog.  Can someone tell me what dancaisne is?  Tesserae references have been challenging to me for some time.  They are scattered, difficult to get, and, indeed, mostly not in english. I have quite a few tessera now but finding more information is another feat altogether.  Ardatirion, thanks for the references! 

A comprehensive bibliography for tesserae with brief commentary describing contents of each reference would be an extremely useful road map.  I have wondered why forvm doesnt have a bibligraphy page (not that i know of).  I know much of the material is covered in numiswiki, but a consolidated bibliography page would also be useful.

Best,
Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity