Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID Byzantine  (Read 779 times)

vanter

Help ID Byzantine
« on: October 14, 2012, 10:36:25 am »
Help to ID this BYzantine Seal, I know the Bizantne Seal can be ID, but I m not expert, so I need help to ID the Byzantine Ruler

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Help ID Byzantine
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:17:09 am »
Reference is Berlin II, 470 (monogram read as 'eparchos?'). Here's the description I wrote up for this type from my database:

Anonymous epistates (overseer). This monogram is also read as the names of Pelagios (Cheynet, Antioche, 141, 142), Apelates, Apellios, Paeitos (Seyrig 359). The relatively large number of seals with this monogram perhaps indicates that an office was meant, not an individual. C. Sode, following N.P. Lichacev, offers the reading 'eparchos' or 'tou eparchou' for the seal, which is problematic because the letters P and X are missing. Followed here is W. Weiser's reading of the monogram as 'epistatou' (MZ 151, 886) - 'seal of the overseer'.

Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity