Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bibliography help (lead seals)  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Basil the Proedros

• Consul
Bibliography help (lead seals)
« on: July 03, 2012, 03:57:40 am »
Has anybody a copy of G. Zacos, Byzantine lead seals? I need a reference for a sea but at the moment I have no access to this book.
Thank You for Your help.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Bibliography help (lead seals)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 04:50:21 am »
I have both volumes, and I'd be willing to look it up if you upload the photo.
Regards
Gert

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:37:28 am »
Thank You very much! I don't collect seals but I'm studying a particular iconographic feature in Byzantine art: the leaved Cross. I know there is a seal belonged to Maria of Alania (Michael VII's wife) which shows her figure with a foliate cross-scepter. I kindly ask You to tell me the catalogue number of the seal and the page number where it is described (I think it's in Volume 1).

Thank You again for this important help.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:15:42 am »
I can't find a seal of Mary of Alania in either volume of Zacos. Why do you think it has to be in there?
Regards
Gert

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:32:57 am »
Thank you for your search. I remembered the volume 1 deals with imperial seals and I thought this seal could be in this catalogue. Anyway some years ago I saved an image of this seal from the web but unfortunately I didn't write the references. I attach the image to this post. Thank's again.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:59:35 am »
That seal was sold by CNG a while ago (Triton XI, Lot: 1171), originally sold by Gorny & Mosch 155 (March 5, 2007), lot 413. In the CNG auction description there are no references found, nor is there a justification of the attribution to this particular Maria (note she is only called 'sebaste') although the date would seem to fit stylistically. Maybe there's more in the Gorny catalogue, but I don't own that particular one.

Regards
Gert

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:56:36 pm »
Thank's a lot for being so helpful! This form of sceptre can be seen in other images of Mary of Alania, in particular a miniature and an enamel plaque, maybe because this cross is sometimes described as a Georgian type and Mary was a Georgian princess. Thank you for the references you could give me.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity