Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: TITUS? AE, 23.50 gr.  (Read 832 times)

magnusmaximus

TITUS? AE, 23.50 gr.
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:56:52 am »
Please help ID, RIC and rarity?

thank you.

Online maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: TITUS? AE, 23.50 gr.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 10:18:47 am »
Obv:- T CAESAR VESPASIAN IMP III PON T R POT II COS II, Laureate Head right
Rev:- Prince on horseback left holding sceptre

I can't find the coin in RIC. In the A.D. 72 bronzes of Titus under Vespasian I can find a similar coin (RIC 631) in Group A, which is a Sestertius, rated Rare but with the obvserse legend "PON T POT II COS II".

Perhap I am missing it. Hopefully one of the big guns will enlighten.

Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: TITUS? AE, 23.50 gr.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 11:32:22 am »
Obv. is as Martin says, but IMP IIII not III; rev. Domitian on horse, carrying scepter topped by human head.

Cohen 235 reports such a sestertius from the Dupré Collection; BMC p. 147 repeats Cohen's description, but RIC omits the type by mistake.

This coin is not recorded in the draft in my possession of the new RIC II, apparently because Buttrey and Carradice found no actual specimen.  I will notify Ian Carradice, or maybe he is reading this thread himself!

Since the specimen illustrated is somewhat tooled, I would like to find an obv. die duplicate to confirm the readings of the essential titles, IMP IIII not III and TR POT II not III.

The rev. die seems to be the same as that used in the previous issue, with IMP III in obv. legend, Paris 642, pl. LV.

Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity