Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: LICICI as a new VOT XX variant  (Read 875 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
LICICI as a new VOT XX variant
« on: March 03, 2007, 03:42:29 pm »
I just bought this mediocre, but yet very interesting coin:

IMP.LIC-INIVS AVG. laureate head right;
VOT/XX in wreath surrounded by: DN.LIC.LICICI AVGVSTI (sic) TSAVI in exergue.
If the reverse text had read: DN.LIC.LICINI.AVGVSTI, it would have been RIC 102.
Now, I suppose, it will be a funny variant to it?

comments are wellcome.

Frans

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
Re: LICICI as a new VOT XX variant
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:06:23 pm »
It seems like an ancient "typo."   :laugh:  Your conclusion classifying it as a variant is very plausible.  I find that owning these types is quite special since they are very unusual.

Best, Noah

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 11:11:46 pm »
Frans, your coin has a small star at the top of the wreath which means that it's not RIC 102 but rather is from a later issue for which Licinius I is unlisted (RIC 117-120)! I have one (without the neat spellling error) myself also. This was the last Thessalonica issue to include the Licinii.

Ben

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 11:24:27 am »
I took RIC in hand and saw what you mean: if the coin should be given a place, it should be directly after RIC 110. The remarks in RIC on p 495 should be altered into: Both Licinii disappeared in period 5.

Thanks for the effort

Frans

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 11:58:26 am »
Frans, the RIC 109-116 group is yet another issue where the star is in the center of the wreath (and Licinius is listed as #111). Your coin belongs in the group RIC 117-120 where the star in on the wreath.

Here are my specimens of these coins for comparison. Top is RIC 111, bottom is same as your coin - unlisted (would come after RIC 117).

Ben

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 02:34:41 pm »
Wonderful and clear info! Thanks Ben!

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity