Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: India???? Help to identify!!!!  (Read 959 times)

strelets

India???? Help to identify!!!!
« on: March 03, 2007, 02:00:55 pm »
please, help!!

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: India???? Help to identify!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 04:01:32 pm »
Yes, I'm afraid they are India... :-[ I am not good at that, but I recognised the coin with the cock and 1836 on it:
French India, denomination 'Doudou' KM 52  worth a good pizza.

Frans

Manzikert

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 05:54:47 pm »
Hi strelets

1. Balashahi paisa from Srinagar mint in Bundelkhand, struck by the Marathas in the name of the Mughal emperor Shah Alam II (1759-1806), KM 176.

2. As Frans says, Doudou from French India, Pondicherry mint

3. Jital or falus of Firuz Shah Tughlaq, Sultan of Dehli, 752-790 AH/1351-1388 AD, struck in Dehli, Goron & Goenka D492

4. Paisa, Kashmir, Ranbir Singh (1857-1885), Srinagar mint [different city to 1], samvat date 1927(=1870 AD), Y 7

5. Kasu ('cash') from one of the south Indian states: I have seen this one with the flower on the obverse and a dished reverse somewhere, but I can't remember where at the moment.

Best wishes

Alan

strelets

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:19:29 am »
Thanks Frans and Alan !

Alan, was Balashahi a province in India? I didn't find such province in Krause 18 and 19th century.

Manzikert

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 02:01:35 pm »
Hi strelets

No, 'Balashahi' was the name given to that particular type of paisa by the local population. According to Maheshwari and Wiggins in their 'Maratha mints and coinage' it was named after 'Balaji Pandit, the official in charge of the Peshwa's [the Maratha ruler's] mints in the area'.

In the 18th century Krause it is KM 245 under the Maratha Confederacy (p.565)

Best wishes

Alan

strelets

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 03:10:23 pm »
Alan, thanks!!! I found all coins except #5

5. Kasu ('cash') from one of the south Indian states. Don't you you the approximate name of state and dates  for this coin?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity