Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: trophy?  (Read 930 times)

iaculator

trophy?
« on: March 03, 2007, 02:33:31 am »
Hello,

A coin found in a lot of Roman Cappadocian coins. The clue is a figure seeming like a trophy and a few characters under it. 30 mm diameter and 2 mm thick. I will be thankful for any comments.

Sincerely.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: trophy?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 07:44:03 pm »
Looking a bit longer at your coin I can see Victory at the r. side, stg. l. and holding a wreath in her raised hand! May be this could help you!

Best regards

iaculator

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 03:14:14 pm »
OK, i ll search it.

Thank you very much Jochen...

david serrano

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 02:11:13 pm »
Am I hallucinating or is this a face?

David

david serrano

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 09:21:38 am »
I don't think it's a helmeted Athena, the back of the "face" looks too much like hair.  It almost looks like Tanit al la Carthaginian coins, but with the back this isn't possible, still I think it looks like a woman with tied up flowing hair.
David

see Tanit @ http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/zeugitana/carthage/t.html

iaculator

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 12:57:04 am »
On the reverse i can see an GVS or CVS or sthg like that under the Victory at right below. May it be helpful?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity