Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine Vows coin from Rome-Pics added  (Read 878 times)

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Constantine Vows coin from Rome-Pics added
« on: February 28, 2007, 11:59:35 pm »
To sleepy to take pics at the moment, but this coin is in very nice condition, and all details are perfectly clear, so a description may suffice?

Obverse: CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG, Rosette diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Reverse: DN CONSTANTINI MAX AVG, around wreath which encloses VOT / XXX
In exergue RFS

Using Helveticas spreadsheet, the only coin I see with the RFS mintmark is RIC 322, but That coin has the obverse inscription CONSTANTINVS AVG,

So right now this seems to be a coin not listed in RIC?

Thanks,
Jerome

Looking a little deeper, it seems that the CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG obverse legend is only listed on VOT / XXX issues from Heraclea. But there is no doubt that the mintmark on this coin is RFS from Rome.

Edit: Here are the pictures, After checking RIC it seems to be an error in Helveticas tables. ( I see it is correct on the on-line version, I just need to correct my stored one.)  The obverse legend for RIC 322 is CONSTANTINVS MAX AVG. So the coin is RIC 322 Rated R2.

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Constantine Vows coin from Rome-Pics added
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 06:43:17 pm »
Hi
I think that it is a mule

Obverse RIC VII, Rome 320
Reverse  RIC VII, Rome 322

ser

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 09:28:31 pm »
In the1966 Roman Imperial Coinage, the list says the RIC VII, 322.  The obverse is listed as E8 (Rosette diadem, draped, cuirassed bust.  The reverse is DN CONSTANTINI MAX AVG w/ XXX enclosed in wreath.  w/ RFS in the exergue rated R2.
I may also be wrong, but I think Jerome nailed it.

Thanks Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 01:54:11 pm »
OK Bamba. 
It is my error.    :-[ :-[

ser

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 05:39:04 pm »
Can't help to add that it is a very elegant coin - so well executed!

Congrats!

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity