Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 2 Philip AR Ants RIC needed  (Read 666 times)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
2 Philip AR Ants RIC needed
« on: February 28, 2007, 06:11:49 pm »
Dear Friends

Below you will see 2 Philip AR Ants. Both are the same type with Anonna reverse but 2 completly different dies and the reverse scence differs slightly with something down by Anonna's feet on one of them. Now, neither van Meter nor Sear distinguish them.

They are listed as
Sear 2553 (4th Ed.)
van Meter 226/#5

and both refer to Cohen 25

But I am sure in RIC there are more types. Could somebody look them for me and provide me with the numbers and an explanation of the different reverse scenes?

Thanks in advance

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: 2 Philip AR Ants RIC needed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 06:33:15 pm »
Hi Burak,

The first coin is RIC 28c with modius at feet of Annona while the second coin is RIC 29 with prow instead of Modius.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 06:36:01 pm »
You beat me to it Lars.  Here is RIC 28c in it's complete form:

Philip I AR Antoninianus. IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right / ANNONA AVGG. Annona standing left holding corn-ears over modius & cornucopiae. RIC 28c, RSC 25. 

Here is RIC 29 attribution in it's complete form:

Philip I AR Antoninianus. Rome, AD 247. IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right / ANNONA AVGG, Annona standing left, holding corn-ears over a galley (prow) at her feet left & cornucopia. RSC 32.

Best, Noah

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 06:42:56 pm »
Thank you very much

All coins are guaranteed for eternity