Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An interesting pentanummia: imitative mint or Heraclius?  (Read 791 times)

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
An interesting pentanummia: imitative mint or Heraclius?
« on: February 27, 2022, 01:53:00 am »
I recently met an interesting pentanummia. It can be assumed at first sight that this is just an imitation. But it seems to me that everything is not so easy.
By the style of the portrait, the coin is very similar to the crude style Nicomedia pentanummias by Maurice Tiberius. But why then next to the letter  :Greek_epsilon: is not N, but + ? The blank made very neatly, cut from a cast vawy strip, how it was done at the imperial mints. Size 14-15 mm., weight 1.6 gr. The crown at the head of the emperor in very close to the seleucian and isaurian portraits of Heraclius with his son. And what does the fragment of legend in the left mean: ...Nh...?  May be dN hERACLI? It turns out that this is Heraclius?  But from the coins of Heraclius, the closest is the type of the Heraclius KYZ pentanummia MIB 191. In general, this penta looks very mystery to me. What you think?

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: An interesting pentanummia: imitative mint or Heraclius?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 07:47:50 am »
Imitation or not that is a tough coin to attribute, i would lean torwards an imitation of a needed denomination , i also think most imitations were made by local governments trying to fill a needed denomination for the local economy. The details were not important on the coin, just trying to get the coin out quickly was the main goal.
Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 08:18:25 pm »
revisiting I think it is Heraclius SBCV-821
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 04:12:49 pm »
If you mean MIB 233 Thessalonica, then the obverse is completely different. On the our strange pentanummia the crude portrait is in profile, not in front, and there is no pendilia as we see on the Thessalonica's penta.  I think it's not Sear 821.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 08:33:51 pm »
I do not know how accurate it is but it is my easiest book for byzantine copper coins. Harlan J Berk Eastern Roman Successor to the  Sestertius

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 04:23:20 pm »
I have this referense guide.  With all due respect to the author, Berk is confusing something.  The Sear 821 type does not have a bust right.  Berk refers the main type to the Sear 821a he invented.  It's unclear. Take a look at Sear guide.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity