Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: English translations of german numismatic words  (Read 13572 times)

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
English translations of german numismatic words
« on: March 06, 2009, 01:55:32 pm »
Can anyone tell me what the word "nimbusartigem" means?  The sentence is "c) Mit eingesetztem Pferdefuß.  Der Revers is fast wie Abb. 122, Reiterkörper mit Achselkugeln und nimbusartigem Helmschweif, Pferd mit eingesetztem Hinterbein, dickem Kopf und Kugel unter der Schwanzwurzel."

(If there is a better place to ask English to German translations questions let me know; I couldn't think of anywhere to ask).

I was able to translate the rest of the sentence using Google, and guessing on a few words.

"c) Incuse reverse.  The reverse is almost like figure 122, equestrian body with bullets and auxiliary tail *nimbusartigem* helmet, horse with inserted hind legs, thick head and ball at the tail root."

The coin is similar to this: [dead link removed by ADMIN]

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: English translations of german numismatic words
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 01:59:12 pm »
It just means 'nimbus-like'.
I'm not sure whether bullets is an appropriate translation for Kugel.
Kugel can mean orb, ball or bullet.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 02:46:13 pm »
"c) Mit eingesetztem Pferdefuß.  Der Revers ist fast wie Abb. 122, Reiterkörper mit Achselkugeln und nimbusartigem Helmschweif, Pferd mit eingesetztem Hinterbein, dickem Kopf und Kugel unter der Schwanzwurzel."

c) With the horse's foot "set in".  The reverse is very similar to Fig. 122, the rider's body has shoulders formed like globes and a nimbuslike crest on the helmet, the horse has its back leg "set in", a thick head, and a globe below the root of the tail.

I don't understand what eingesetzt (twice) means in this description.
Curtis Clay

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:58:50 pm »
Perhaps it's clearer when looking at the actual coin?
As it is I have no idea either.
Andreas Reich

Offline Volodya

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
    • Imitations of Roman Republican Denarii
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 04:41:28 pm »
Here's a link to a valuable German-English dictionary of numismatic terms:
http://www.muenzen-hardelt.de/dic/diction1.html

Phil Davis

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 04:45:22 pm »
Which does not however include einsetzen or eingesetzt!

With good reason, they're not usual German numismatic terms.
Curtis Clay

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 07:53:08 pm »
I have had really good luck with dict.cc for translating German but sometimes it fails.  The quote is from Karl Pink, Die Muenzenpraegung der Ostkelten und Ihrer Nachbarn.  The 1974 reissue, page 47.

"nimbusartigem" is a rare compound word; Google only found it three times, once on www.numismatikforum.de and twice in very old books!  I had figured out "nimbus" was "nimbus" but I don't know how to search for -artigem.  Google Translate renders it as "like" but the online German-English dictionaries don't consider it a word.  (I don't know how to search for suffixes.)

I think I misunderstood "eingesetztem Pferdefuß".  I thought he was describing the fabric but he's talking about hats!  Pink illustrates a list of similar Larissa-style Eastern Celtic coins.  The list of types is "Mit Petasosreiter", ""Mit Helmschweifreiter", "Mit eingesetztem Pferdefuß".

I know from John Melville-Jone's _Dictionary of Ancient Greek Coins_ that a Petasos is the kind of helmet that Hermes wore.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 07:09:32 am »
'Nimbusartigem' is Dativ, the Nominativ would be 'nimbusartig', where '-artig' means like.
Artig by itself means something like 'well-behaved' used primarily for children and pets.

I don't think 'eingesetzter Pferdefuß' has anything to do with hats, apart from the regular meaning of 'Pferdefuß'
the only other I am aware of is 'a catch', like 'this sounds too good, where's the catch?'.
This is because the devil has a horse's foot. 

I don't think 'eingesetzter Pferdefuß' means anything exotic, but what you translated earlier, 'inserted horse's foot',
I assume it makes sense if you see the coin in question.

Yes, I see how 'inserted horse's leg' makes sense for this coin:

[Broken Image Link Removed by ADMIN]

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:47:35 am »
The Numiswiki page for German numismatic terms and abbreviations has made good progress.  Basically, every time I look up a word that is not on the page, I add it to the page.  Please contribute.  

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Numismatic German
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Matthew W2

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 03:01:04 am »
Hm, I didn't realize this about 'nimbus' (see the meaning in relation to classical art in the Encyclopedia entry at the bottom of the page) - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nimbus

There might be a better way to render it in English then, based on what is depicted on the coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity