Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unidentified AE16 Seleukid?  (Read 317 times)

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
Unidentified AE16 Seleukid?
« on: August 08, 2022, 02:04:26 pm »
The obverse has a distinct Seleukid look?  However, I can’t resolve the reverse figure or text.
Obv. Radiate bust right within a circle of pellets. Rev. Standing figure right holding curved object in left hand. Right arm raised. Indistinct text right field.  Within circle of pellets
2.2gr 14.8-16.2mm axis 12hr
Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Unidentified AE16 Seleukid?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 02:28:46 pm »
The legend ends on the right with LFWN  and ADELFWN was used in Antioch and Seleukeia, Syria, albeit always with a second name e.g. ADELFWN DHMWN and with a date.
It was also used on the obverse of gold coins of the Ptolemy family (with jugate heads on the obverse).
DELFWN alone was used in Delphi.
The reverse looks like the deity of the harvest, I think Varbanov calls him "Feb" but I can't for the life of me remember his Greek name..

However, I can't find this particular coin during a (relatively fleeting) look through my books and pdfs.

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 02:49:36 am »
Thanks helvetica, very useful suggestions.

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 12:19:05 pm »
My research around Demeter / Ceres haven’t been useful so far. The style is very similar to SYRIA, Coele-Syria. Damascus.  An example here https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=782837

All coins are guaranteed for eternity