Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Imitative "Class A1" folles  (Read 506 times)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Imitative "Class A1" folles
« on: August 01, 2022, 12:40:33 am »
I recently added the two coins pictured below to my collection.  Both came from FORVM, where they were listed as imitative anonymous folles, mimicking the Class A1 follis type of John I Tzimisces.  They are tentatively attributed to a Balkan mint source, with a production date circa 970 – 980 AD.

I admittedly know very little about these coins, but now that I own two of them, I guess I need to learn more about them.  The FORVM description mentions a section by P. Lampinen in Wayne Sayles’ book; Ancient Coin Collecting V: The Romaion/Byzantine Culture.

I don’t happen to have a copy of this book, but am actively searching for one.  I checked DOC 3.2 under the "Anonymous Folles" section, but they didn't mention anything about them.  Might they be somewhere else in those publications?

Does anyone have any additional (ideally) readily available sources of information on these coins?

Craig

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Imitative "Class A1" folles
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 03:25:32 am »
I think Lampinen and Sayles would attribute this imitation to Asia Minor, rather than the Balkans.  Here is the relevant page -- I will send the whole chapter.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 11:54:53 am »
Thanks Obryzum.

I have a copy of the book on the way.

Craig

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 06:42:53 pm »
Both volumes are great. High recommendation from me.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity