Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Imitative Coin  (Read 665 times)

Offline Gothicvs

• Consul
Imitative Coin
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:19:00 am »
The coin was found that the attachment is in the south of France and in my opinion is an imitation coin of Domitian (prototype RIC 113 (II edition 2007).
I tried to news on the possible origin, but without concrete results. And 'possible to envisage a British origin?

Note the peculiarity of Minerva down (the hat looks like a crown or a helmet) and holds a flower as the SPES.
 Size: Weight 7.5 grams, 26 mm diam. , axis 6 hours

For me it is very interesting ... ... opinions and / or news about this kind of coin? Thanks
S.

Offline Gothicvs

• Consul
Re: Imitative Coin
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:21:18 am »

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:07:33 pm »
A nice coin and, as you say, certainly irregular. I don't think we have any reason to believe it is a British product - these imitations were produced all over the north-western provinces. Work on the slightly earlier Claudian copies seems to place the origin of most on the Rhine frontier and into Gaul (and not Britain). The mixing-up of attributes is encountered often enough on irregular coins.
A good find  :)

Regards,

Adrianus

Offline Gothicvs

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:10:40 am »
thank you very much...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity