Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Billion Tetradrachm  (Read 7264 times)

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Billion Tetradrachm
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:12:55 pm »
After collecting American coins for years, I grew very bored with the hobby.  I ran out of new and exciting specimins within my price range, and put it to the side for some time.  I've always loved history, archeology, biblical hisotry, and biblical archeology.  It never occured to me ancient coins were available to anyone but museums and millionare collectors.  About two months ago, I accidently stumbled accross some listing or another for ancient coins while researching biblical history.  I was skeptical at first, but quickly realized there is a thriving trade in ancient coins, and many examples were within my budget.  I spent hours combing websites for information and finally made my first purchase at the Forvm no less.  I've been off to the races since. 

I try to read what I can online.  There are a few sites with good information for beginners like me (Doug Smith and esty.ancients.info), but as with anything, much of the information out there assumes a certain level of knowlege and experience.  One suggestion I saw online said invest books as well as coins, so I've ordered one book which I am currently reading (Hendin), and I've ordered a second which is on the way (Sayles, Vol I). 

No one I know in my area has the least interest in coin collecting, much less ancient coins.  Even if there was a "club" or some such, I don't know how often I would go between work and home duties.  It doesn't really matter as I don't think there is an acient coin club in my area anyway.  My local coin dealer has been around a long time, but he has no knowledge about ancient coins.  I think he's had the same few "widow's mites" the past 15 years I've been frequenting his shop.

I was happy to stumble accross this discussion board so I can connect with others with the same interest.  Better yet, I have a place to post my newbie questions.  I'd rather be a little embarrased and ask, than continue being ignorant.  Anyhow, here is my first (probably of many) questions:

I recently acquired a low grade "Nero Billon Tetradrachm of Alexandria."  I can't find general information or background on billon tetradrachms.  Why were the Romans issuing tetradrachms?  I thought that was a Greek standard.  What exactly is "billon?"  I found a general definition somewhere that led me to believe it is an alloy of debased sivler.  Is that correct?  If so, why were the Romans using it in Egypt?  What's the general background for the Romans using billon tetradrachms in Egypt or where can I find out? 

Any help is greatly appreciated.   
Lucas

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Billion Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:20:01 pm »
I am sure others will provide more answers but let me start you with this...notice the word billon is blue.  All blue words are links.  Click on it and you will learn more about billon
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:42:31 pm »
Hi Lucas, a book I can recommend is Christopher Howgego's 'Ancient History from Coins'. It gives a lot of background info and is very readable. I wish I had read it earlier than I did. It answers questions like the one you have here. That is not to say you shouldn't ask here but it's a must read and affordable as well.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:16:14 pm »
Quote from: Lucas H on February 08, 2011, 03:12:55 pm
I've always loved history, archeology, biblical hisotry, and biblical archeology. 
YAY!
The beauty of Judaean coins - they can be really cheap, and can purchased online, not just at your local store!

Quote from: Lucas H on February 08, 2011, 03:12:55 pm
I think he's had the same few "widow's mites" the past 15 years I've been frequenting his shop.

I have the same problem too! My "local" store has had the same batch of prutot for the longest time... He's possibly waiting to sell them all, but it will take a while.

Anyhow, welcome, and I hope to hear from you in the "Biblical & Judean Coins" board!

Regards,

Aarmale
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:08:08 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I guess I'm a little slow not to have noticed the blue terms link to definitions or references.  Very high tech.  I did mention my first purchase was from this site didn't I?   :)

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:58:12 am »
Lucas,

This site will get you started on finding out more about the Alexandrian tets:

http://www.coinsofromanegypt.org/html/library/works_index.htm#works

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 08:54:15 am »
So much to learn, and that is what makes this facinating for me.  I looked up billon through the Forvm.  I also reviewed many of the articles at http://www.coinsofromanegypt.org/html/library/works_index.htm#works.  I also looked through some the sites with links found there.  Thank you guys for taking the time to help out.  The learning curve is steep. 

I've taken the time to read popular threads in many of the sections on the discussion board.  I think I'll keep my comments to this new anchient collector section for now.  I've attempted to take my first picture and merge it into one file, and I figure I would try the coin disucssed here.  I'm attempting to post the picutre of my Nero Billon Tetradrachm with this post.  Obviously, I'll continue to read suggestions on my photography. 

After the helpful suggestions everyone had, I've learned what billon is, and I've learned a good deal about the Roman coinage of Alexandria.  I still don't quite get why the Romans issued tetradrachms with Greek legonds.  Why not impose their coin standard and language on the entire empire?  Any more guidance is greatly appreciated.  I'll also warn you guys that as long as you keep answering questions, I'm likely to keep posting them.  This is the only sounding board I have. 

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:57:45 am »
Working on my photography.  After reading some of the discussion board here and some of the more basic pointers at Ancient Greet & Roman Coins, I've made another attempt.  I'm hoping my photography is getting better.  It certainly cannot get much worse than that first attempt.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 10:37:53 am »
Lucas,

I would just mention that if you are planning to specialize in an area or two you can't go wrong with the Alexandrian coins.  There is a huge variety.  They are not outrageously priced.  There are some very good references when you feel ready for more advanced.  You should also look at the very nice and large copper drachms, especially those of Trajan and Hadrian.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Gao

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:51:41 am »
Quote from: Lucas H on February 09, 2011, 08:54:15 am
After the helpful suggestions everyone had, I've learned what billon is, and I've learned a good deal about the Roman coinage of Alexandria.  I still don't quite get why the Romans issued tetradrachms with Greek legonds.  Why not impose their coin standard and language on the entire empire?  Any more guidance is greatly appreciated.

You'll want to read up on Roman provincial coinage (also called Greek imperial and Roman civic coinage).  Basically, Rome allowed many places to make their own local coinage.  Sometimes, this was for the sake of continuity (if the economy of an area you just acquired is working, why mess with it?), other times, it was a privilege that was granted to cities later on, and it was something that these cities seemed to take great pride in.  One should also keep in mind how impractical it would be to ship small change all over the empire, so having local authorities take care of that need was quite convenient.

Provincial coinage faded away over the third century, when inflation and more widely distributed imperial mints removed the need and desire to make such coins.  Egypt was the last to make them, but Diocletian took that privilege away from them after they supported an usurper to the throne at the end of that century.

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 01:04:34 pm »

Gao,  Any recommendations for books on this topic?  So far, I'm reading Hendin, and I have Sayles Vol. I on the way.  Also, any recommendations for websites are greatly appreciated.  I've read much of the information here on the Forvm's website.  I've read over Doug Smith's website a few times.  I've read over the website at esty.ancients.info/numis/ a couple of times.  I don't know who's website that is, but it is very helpful for me as a beginner.   I read over parts of a number of other informational websites, but I'd be happy to have any references to information about Roman provincial coinage you could recommend. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity