Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RIC VIII Heraclea 26 or 27?  (Read 987 times)

habeas-corpus

RIC VIII Heraclea 26 or 27?
« on: May 15, 2008, 03:05:50 am »
Hello all.  So, this is my first post and i'm sorry for the poor quality of the pictures--they are both with and without flash for detail. (I have yet to setup a nice coin/camera apparatus)

From that i can tell this is most likely a RIC VIII Heraclea 26 or 27 (doubtful 25 or 30)

The coin is 16.5mm width at the widest and about .75 to 1.25mm thick.  I can easily make out ONST-?NS?.  From this and search tools, it's probably a [C]ONST-ANS A[VG] with 1 standard on reverse.

Since i wasn't able to find it on dirtyoldcoins or wildwinds, i used the RCAT excel files from this lovely website and narrowed it down to the two options.

I've looked at http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/busts/ and am having a hard time telling if it's a 26 (diademed, draped, cuirassed) or 27 (laurel + rosette diademed, draped and cuirassed)

Any help would be spectacular and i thank you in advance.

I am sorry to bother you guys/gals with such a newb question; however, i'm stuck and would appreciate a little help so i can learn from this,
HC

vic9128

Re: RIC VIII Heraclea 26 or 27?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:14:44 am »
Hello and welcome!

Your coin is a laurel and rosette diademed bust.

habeas-corpus

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:42:09 pm »
Victor,
Thank you for taking the time to help a novice out. :-)

I am curious though--so i can make this distinction in the future--what made it a dead give away that it was both laurel and diademed? (I've tried to figure it out, but i just can't seem to distinguish the major differences.)

Thanks again,
HC

vic9128

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:25:49 pm »
what made it a dead give away that it was both laurel and diademed? (

You can tell that yours is laurel + rosette diademed because just a little above the ear is a clear circular rosette. Telling the difference will become much easier with time, it also helps to look at (many) other examples.

habeas-corpus

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:47:14 pm »
Thanks again Victor. :)
HC

habeas-corpus

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 01:34:58 am »
OK.

After some more inspection, i think i've got it figured out specifically why you came to this conclusion.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

What i should have noticed was that plain laurel's never have rosettes because they are only leaves. And, that a rosette diademed never has leaves unless it also has a laurel.

Thus: Leaves and Rosette = laurel + rosette diademed.

Is that how you would approach the combination/distinction?

Thanks to your help, i think i understand the distinction. (That is, if my thought process here is correct.) :)
HC (aka: the guy who couldn't distinguish the leaves.)

vic9128

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 07:39:34 am »
Is that how you would approach the combination/distinction?

Yes, you have it now.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity