Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My birthday gifts...  (Read 1011 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
My birthday gifts...
« on: September 11, 2007, 04:30:16 pm »
Hi,

It was my birthday the other day and I was fortunate enough to acquire two books, one practical and one indulgent.

The first that I got was Butcher’s excellent recent work on the coinage of Roman Syria. A huge tome packed with information on the province and luckily, being a fellow of the Royal Numismatic Society, I could purchase it for my partner to give to me at 30 % discount to soften the financial blow (and well worth the annual subscription fee to the society).

The other book my partner chose came as a complete surprise to me. I’ve always wanted a seventeenth century numismatic book, a volume from the early days of numismatics as a discipline. I have a number of 19th century works but, like I said above, I wanted an indulgence.

She bought for me, from my friend and fellow board member Leetoone, Charles Patin’s 1683 work Introductio ad Historiam Numismatum that was bound with Joseph Suares De Nummis Antiquis & Nummis Antiquis Dissertatio, also from that year.

The small volume is tightly bound in old leather and is just wonderful.

Patin (1633 – 1693) was a physician and scholar who bough a collection of coins from the Comte de Brienne with the intention of drawing and publishing them. He travelled through Germany, Netherlands, England, Switzerland and finally Italy adding to his sumptuous collection that was said to rival the collection of Louis XIV of France.

Regards,

Mauseus 

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
Re: My birthday gifts...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:30:48 pm »
I'm happy that you are pleased with it  ;D ;D ;D

It couldn't have gone to a better home! Enjoy it for many years to come.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity