Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Learn Ancient Hebrew on ancient coins - Now on NumisWiki  (Read 48953 times)

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
Learn Ancient Hebrew on ancient coins - Now on NumisWiki
« on: November 06, 2006, 05:07:49 pm »
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the Classical Numismatic Discussion Board posts on learning to read ancient Hebrew on coins have been combined, updated and enhanced in a NumisWiki article. See:

Reading Judean Coins

Below in this thread there are additional examples in that are not in the article, including some Yehud coins. After finishing the article, you might want to go through the posts in this thread to test how much you have learned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all Judaean coins lovers.
in this section I will put coins from time to time to help identifying the Cornucopia Judaean types
which is consider as very hard to identify for most dealers and collectors, I notice many mistakes in those coins on line, and hope this will be a guide to all those who have hard time to identify these coins.
regards
Salem Alshdaifat

Judah Aristobulus I (Yehudah), 104 - 103 B.C.

Bronze prutah, Hendin 1143 (465), gVF, 2g, 13.0mm, Jerusalem mint,obverse Hebrew inscription, Yehudah the High Priest and the Council of the Jews, surrounded by wreath; reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns, an excellent example for scarce coin and Priest.

Please note that ancient Hebrew read from right to left.
See the additional photo.
YHODH (Judah) , KHN (priest) , GDOL (High) , W (and) , HABAR (Council) , H (the) , YHWD (Jews)

ADMIN NOTE:  See Reading Judean Coins on NumisWiki.

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: learn Ancient Hebrew.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 05:09:51 pm »
Alexander Jannaeus (Yehonatan), 103 - 76 B.C.

Bronze prutah, TJC type Q, Hendin 1144 (474), EF , nice center with full script !!!, 2.6g, 15mm,Jerusalem mint, obverse Hebrew inscription, Yehonatan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews, surrounded by wreath; reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns, very rare in this condition and with full script.

the script says
YHONTN   (Yehonatan)
KH           (Priest)
GDOL       (High)
W           (and)
(HH)BR   (Council)
H            (the)
YHWDM   (Jews)

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Learn Ancient Hebrew on ancient coins.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 10:38:07 pm »
Alexander Jannaeus, 103 -76 B.C.

AE prutah, Hendin 1150 (469), EF with full script between Rays!!!!, 16mm; obverse Star of eight pellets within diadem, ancient Hebrew legend (YHONATHAN H MALEK) = king Alexander; reverse  BASILEWS ALEXANDROU, around anchor.

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:16:52 pm »
John Hyrcanus I (Yehohanan), 134 - 104 B.C.
this is one of the finest full script I have ever seen from this type, EX Forum

Bronze prutah, TJC I 62, AJC I group N, Hendin 1133 (456), choice VF+, 2.88g, 13.9mm, 0o, Jerusalem mint, obverse Hebrew inscription, Yehohanan the High Priest and Council of the Jews, surrounded by wreath; reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns, AP monogram below left; very rare full script
The ancient Hebrew script says
NN(HUH)WHY     =   Yehohanan
H          =   the
NHK     =    Priest
LDGH   =     high
H         =     the     ( ancient Hebrew mostly use W = and, in this coin mistakinly they used the !!
RB(HUH) =  Consel
H      = the
MYDHY = Jews.

Offline Carolus Magnus

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 10:31:44 pm »
I hate to say it, but this is one hard language to understand. At least for me. Most of the judean coins I have seen in hand, are pretty hard to make out the letters, let alone translate them. I am really thankfull that Salem is taking the time to do this. In time I may get better at it, but not without the help I have recieved here. Heck, sometimes I have problems with English!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
                                                         Best Regards, and thanks again Salem

Chuck T

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 12:29:16 am »
John Hyrcanus I (Yehohanan), 134 - 104 B.C.

Bronze prutah, Hendin 1132 (454), gVF, 2.1g, 15mm, Jerusalem mint, obverse Greek letter A above Hebrew inscription, Yehonanan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews, surrounded by wreath; reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns, border of dots.

Full script with very nice clear Ancient Hebrew script

A monogram
YHO(HH)NN =(Yehonanan)
H = the
KHN = Priest
H = the
GDOL = high
W = and
(HH)BR = Council
H = the
YHWDYM = Jews

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:30:14 am »
John Hyrcanus II (Yonatan), King 67 B.C., Ethnarch 63 - 40 B.C., amazing??

Bronze prutah, Hendin 1159 (479), gVF, 1.4g, 13mm, Jerusalem mint, obverse Crude illegible Hebrew inscription, Yonatan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews, within wreath; reverse double cornucopia with pomegranate between horns.

an amazing example for the type with full Hebrew script.

YNTN  (Yonatan)
H (the)
KHN (Priest)
GDOL (high)
W (and)
(HH)BR (Council)
YHDYM (Jews)

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 12:31:24 am »
John Hyrcanus II (Yonatan), King 67 B.C., Ethnarch 63 - 40 B.C. [ADMIN NOTE:  This type is attributed to Alexander Jannaeus in Hendin's 5th Edition]

Bronze prutah, Hendin 1149 (478), VF, 2.6g, 17mm,Jerusalem mint, obverse Hebrew inscription, Yonatan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews, within wreath; reverse double cornucopia with pomegranate between horns; overstruck on an earlier prutah, and it is clearly over Alexander Jannaeus, Hendin 1148 (467) since we can read ALEXANDROY BAC, around circle.
 the Hebrew script says
YNTN (Yonatan)
H (the)
KHN (Priest)
GDL (High)
W (and)
(HH)BR (Council)
H (the)
DY (Jews)

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 12:33:06 am »
Judah Aristobulus I (Yehudah), 104 - 103 B.C.

Bronze prutah, Hendin 1143 (465), gVF, 2g, 13.0mm, Jerusalem mint,obverse Hebrew inscription, Yehudah the High Priest and the Council of the Jews, surrounded by wreath; reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns, an excellent example for scarce coin and Priest.

Please note that ancient Hebrew read from right to left.
See the additional photo.

YHODH (Judah), KHN (Priest), GDOL (High), W (and), HABAR (Council), H (the), YHWD (Jews)

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 12:33:50 am »

Bronze prutah, TJC P17, Hendin 1145 (473), gVF, 2.4g, 14mm, Jerusalem mint, obverse Hebrew inscription, Yehonatan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews, within wreath; reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns.

very nice example with full Hebrew script, which is very rare for the type.

the script says (read from right to left)
YHONTN ( Yehonatan)
 H (the)
KOHN (priest)
 H (the)
 GDOL  (high)
W (and)
 (HH)BR (consil)
 H (the)
 YHDM (Jews)

Offline John K

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 10:21:07 pm »
I am now trying to read my own coins using this guide - so first Thanks for the guide!!!

I am having trouble seeing the difference between the letter "R" and the letter "D"

To me they look exactly alike... what is the "difference" that I am missing?

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 03:09:16 am »
The resh ("R") has a rounded shape, while the dalet ("D") has strictly straight lines.  I know it is very hard to see that on the coins since they are so small, but context is key.  Judaean coins follow a relatively rigid pattern, with a very small corpus of words appearing.  If you ever see  :Judean_shin_1: :Judean_alef_1: :Judean_rosh_2: on a coin, you'd know it was rosh - "head" and not dosh, since dosh is meaningless.  luckily, the names are the most important part, and there is only one name with one of these - Yehudah -  :Judean_hey: :Judean_daleth: :Judean_waw_1: :Judean_hey: :Judean_yad_2:, and none with a resh.  So if you see one of these letters in a name and can't tell the difference, it is a dalet.
hope that helps
~Zach

Offline John K

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 08:59:47 am »
Zach!

This is most helpful!  I must say being able to notice whether the letter is rounded or pointed is going to be some accomplishment.  Your comment about seeking to understand the letter in context definitely seems like the way to go when in doubt to the shape of the letter.

Now to get a more powerful magnifying glass!!!

Thanks
John

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 11:08:58 am »
Hi John
some times in Judaean coins the script is not realy prefect, you might recognize the R from D and some times  you wont, you have to be familiar with the script at the Judaean coins, but as Zach said when you see a cercle on the stick then it is R, and when you see a traingle then it is D.
but the script ingravers did so many mistakes on Ancient Judaean coins, and some times you cant recognize the R from the D, but you have to read the script to tell, and that is commen too with th K and N some times they look samiler.
try to write the letters on a paper and by the time you will be able to read these coins prefectly.

my friend Zach ROSH comes with W and not Alef    :Judean_shin_1: :Judean_vau_1: :Judean_rosh_2:
all the best
 :Judean_mah_3: :Judean_lam_2: :Judean_alef_1: :Judean_shin_1:

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 01:26:42 pm »

my friend Zach ROSH comes with W and not Alef    :Judean_shin_1: :Judean_vau_1: :Judean_rosh_2:

Hi Salem!
I'm pretty sure rosh is usually spelled with an aleph.  It is a strange word, but throughout the Bible and on the coins, it is spelled ראש.  If you look up Genesis 40:20, rosh is used in the same sense as on the coins - head of a group of people.  Here (as well as all other examples in the Bible) it is spelled ראש, or  :Judean_shin_1: :Judean_alef_1: :Judean_rosh_2: in Old Hebrew. 

And that's good advice about writing it out on paper!  That's probably the best way to learn it - by actually writing it yourself over and over again. 

and glad I could be of help, John!  good luck!

:Judean_quph_1: :Judean_alef_1: :Judean_zayin_1:

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 05:50:51 pm »
Modern Hebrew spells it with aleph. A quick look at Kaufman shows that aleph is normal on the coins as well, but that doesn't rule out the odd one with waw.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 06:28:51 pm »
Biblical Hebrew uses exclusively aleph, as well.  That doesn't mean that some coins could use a waw, but I think if there is a 'pure' spelling of the word, it is with an aleph.  All Biblical authors use the aleph spelling.  It has to do with the fact that the word was committed to writing before the shift occurred that changed the word from rash (as in Aramaic and Arabic) to rosh.  I will try to dig up my notes on the word from one of my classes a little later.
~Zach

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 05:57:28 pm »
The Masoretic Text is medieval, hence effectively modern. Do you have anything on the spelling in the Dead Sea Scrolls? I could check it out at a pinch, but since they're around the Hasmonean period, give or take, I'd expect it to be aleph, the same as the coins.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 09:02:48 pm »
The Masoretic Text is medieval, hence effectively modern.

I wouldn't say that... Modern Hebrew (revived in the 1880s) is very distinct from the Hebrew of Ancient Israel.  They are Medieval, but they have a much closer link with Israelite Hebrew than with Modern. 

Also, the Masoretes may have fooled around a bit with vowels, but they left the consonants alone.  The texts were not written by the masoretes, merely pointed with vowels where there had not previously been any in use.  The aleph is an archaism that snuck into Hebrew writing.

I've found the notes from the class -

(* indicates stress of previous syllable, š indicates SH sound, ‘ indicates aleph, CAPS indicate a long vowel)

Proto-Semitic original word - ra‘*šu
aleph elides, a lengthens to A - rA*šu
Canaanite shift of A to O - rO*šu
final case ending drops - rOš*

so, the word was committed to writing before the elision of the aleph in Canaanite/Phoenician times, and did not change after that.  The common spoken word did change, as can be seen by the Masoretic insertion of an O vowel.

As for early spellings of Rosh, there is an example of the word spelled with an aleph in the Siloam/Hezekiah's Tunnel inscription, from sometime before 701 BCE.  Line six.  http://www.kchanson.com/ANCDOCS/westsem/siloam.html

wow... we've gotten a bit off topic... maybe this would make a good separate thread?

~Zach

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 11:56:05 am »
Here's another example, in the style of Salem's illustrations of a prutah of Alexander Jannaeus. This is my best prutah, with a full, readable inscription. I've noticed on many of these coins the various renderings of the letters resembling the older Phoenician script. Of course the two alphabets are virtually identical, having the same names for characters, and possessing very subtle differences in writing style during their evolution over time. (i.e. Kaf)

Anyway, this thread got me to dust off my Hebrew books and take a closer look at my Judaean coin collection.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 12:02:16 pm »
Here's a chart of the Aramaic / Proto-Hebrew Alphabet that I put together for reference.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 12:08:50 pm »
Also, here is a chart of the old Phoenician alphabet, from omniglot.com. Compare the writing style with Proto-Hebrew / Aramaic

(Permission is given on the website to use photos and information for educational and reference purposes.)

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: learn Ancient Hebrew.
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 07:55:56 pm »

YHONTN   (Yehonatan)
 KH           (Priest)
GDOL       (High)
 W           (and)
 (HH)BR   (Council)
 H            (the)
YHWDM   (Jews)

I'm pretty sure hachaver (HHBR) means lit. "The friend".    The hebrew is יונתן הכהן, חבר של היהודים, Yonatan the High Kohen (like the last name :)), and the friend of the Jews.  
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 06:03:54 pm »
It means 'the Council of the Jews'. It's probably a safe bet that this is the Hebrew equivalent of the Greek sunedrion, or sanhedrin.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Learn to read ancient Hebrew on ancient coins - Now on NumisWiki
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 08:10:21 pm »

Bronze prutah, TJC type Q, Hendin 474, EF , nice center with full script !!!, 2.6g, 15mm,Jerusalem mint, obverse Hebrew inscription, Yehonatan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews, surrounded by wreath; reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns, very rare in this condetion and with full script.

the script says
YHONTN   (Yehonatan)
 KH           (Priest)
GDOL       (High)
 W           (and)
 (HH)BR   (Council)
 H            (the)
YHWDM   (Jews)

How does KH mean Kohen? Is'nt that just "ka"?

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 08:27:50 am »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 07:18:11 pm »

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 08:20:46 pm »
Robert Brenchley

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 12:45:25 pm »

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 05:58:53 pm »
Robert Brenchley

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 04:59:46 pm »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009, 04:52:11 pm »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 06:47:20 pm »

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 04:16:47 pm »
Robert Brenchley

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 12:50:07 pm »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 01:13:36 pm »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 01:23:06 pm »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 01:33:53 pm »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 01:48:22 pm »

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 01:49:03 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 06:14:21 pm »

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2011, 04:27:04 pm »

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 10:42:51 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 11:05:37 am »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 11:17:02 am »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 11:24:30 am »

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 10:10:57 am »

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 10:52:06 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 10:55:32 am »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 11:02:22 am »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 09:45:35 pm »

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 09:50:59 pm »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2012, 10:31:09 pm »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 05:28:40 pm »

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2012, 05:45:42 pm »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity