Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rechargeable Desiccant  (Read 363 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Rechargeable Desiccant
« on: June 03, 2023, 04:18:22 pm »
I store my coins in archival flips (from Forum) in the Lighthouse cases with either 4 or 10 2" x 2" trays that store 15 coins per tray. I live in a humid area and feel it would be helpful to put desiccant packs in the cases. Does anyone have any recommendations on 1) how much might be needed per case and 2) a good brand that are rechargeable? This just seems like a good idea. It is funny because I also have cigars in a humidor, but the coins need a dry atmosphere.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Adrian H

• Praetorian
Re: Rechargeable Desiccant
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 11:26:22 am »
I just bought a tiny dehumidifier for my home office and I keep the door closed when I'm not in it. Would this also be helpful in keeping the humidity down?
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=53699

$G_{\mu\nu}=8\pi GT_{\mu\nu}$

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 08:08:05 am »
I honestly don’t know Virgil. My home is climate controlled and it’s never been an issue.

There are various options made for firearms owners to put in gun safes, perhaps start there?
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 05:04:24 pm »
Thanks, Ron. It isn't an issue for me, either, as far as I can tell, but I was looking into it just as a preventative measure. There are tons of options on Amazon, food grade and all different sizes. I will probably order a pack of some of those. My house can get pretty humid at times when we open windows and turn on the whole house fan. It can be so bad, we have to just shut windows and turn on AC, more for humidity than the heat, although it is the two combined that make it uncomfortable with just the house fan. My house is old enough that, when built, it didn't have AC and I live in the Deep South. The house fan is great for delaying turning on AC in the spring.

Virgil

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 02:01:48 pm »
I store my coins in archival flips (from Forum) in the Lighthouse cases with either 4 or 10 2" x 2" trays that store 15 coins per tray. I live in a humid area and feel it would be helpful to put desiccant packs in the cases. Does anyone have any recommendations on 1) how much might be needed per case and 2) a good brand that are rechargeable? This just seems like a good idea. It is funny because I also have cigars in a humidor, but the coins need a dry atmosphere.

Thanks,
Virgil

It's easy to find bulk dessicant (hygroscopic or deliquescent material) you can cycle for re-use, the silica-gel kind that changes color as it absorbs moisture from the air. To recharge for re-use, just heat using either a microwave oven or toaster oven or etc. You can put some in paper coin envelopes to make your own 'packets' and keep several of them in closed 2x2" boxes of coins in flips. Buy it by the pound or kilogram, easy to find online. Some is blue and turns pink showing it's time to re-heat it, some is orange and turns green. When heated after absorbing moisture, the color goes back showing the absorbed moisture is gone. I had a pound of orange silica-gel and used only a few ounces but it lasted years.

Another choice is white calcium chloride lumps, 'dri-rite' sold in hardware stores. Not easily re-usable, but very cheap and effective. Put a little in a plastic tupperware container and poke a few holes in the lid, then set nearby. Don't try it in paper envelopes though. It becomes watery, then dispose and start over with fresh.

Both are relatively non-toxic but read follow directions. Dessicants are cheap simple ways to prevent air-moisture effects, especially for bronze coins, as long as everything's together in a closed box. Whichever you use, keep the spare portion completely sealed until needed. Lye may be used in chemistry labs because it is extremely effective at absorbing moisture from air but it is very unwise for household use or around coins because it is very corrosive and toxic.

PtolemAE

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 11:33:45 pm »
Thanks, PtolemAE, great advice.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 09:07:27 am »
What did you end up going with?
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 02:32:41 pm »
Ron,
None yet, LOL. I have been lazy. I will probably go with the packets of food grade that change color. I will be using small packets when I buy them. The variety is almost overwhelming.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity