Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: For Mionnet fans  (Read 269 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
For Mionnet fans
« on: June 03, 2023, 01:06:46 pm »
Our friends at the Bibliothèque Nationale in Paris have now placed Mionnet's own personal copies of his books online as pdfs.

Gallica.fr already had all the volumes, including Paris's own copies with additions, but Mionnet made his own notes and additions in his personal copies.
If you follow the following link, Mionnet's own versions are - from Page 3 - the yellow-ish ones and the ones for which only the brown card cover is shown. Not all of them are fully titled in the list, and some Supplements are not marked as such, for example, a Supplement 4 may just be marked Tome 4. In addition many of the volumes are split into two, e.g. Supplement 5 is in two volumes but you can have fun wandering through the volumes and sorting them out yourself....
https://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engine/search/sru?operation=searchRetrieve&version=1.2&collapsing=disabled&query=dc.relation%20all%20%22cb30951396w%22&rk=21459;2

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: For Mionnet fans
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 01:40:27 pm »
I do like Mionnet. Until the advent of an extensive RPC series Mionnet was a go to reference to consult for provincial pieces I could not find referenced elsewhere.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 05:44:24 pm »
Although Mionnet made a lot of corrections to his own copies, only one edition of most of his volumes was published.
An exception is Volume 1 of which there were two editions, 1806 and 1822.

And until RPC
a) includes the Severans and
b) use permanent reference numbers instead of "temporary" numbers which are likely to change in the future,

Mionnet will continue to be a go-to source.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 05:50:19 pm »
I must check out the annotations. They do sound interesting. Numismatic history is quite fascinating.

Regards,
Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity