Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An example of tooling  (Read 542 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
An example of tooling
« on: May 26, 2023, 04:50:40 am »
I must admit that I really dislike the concept of tooling coins. A tooled coin is a coin where details on a coin have been "enhanced" by an engraver in modern times. The act of tooling is not related to the preservation of the coin but is a simple attempt to increase the appeal of a coin by engraving details on the coin to apparently increase the grade by "enhancing" these details.

I would never knowingly buy a tooled coin.

I spotted this Sestertius of Trajan recently whilst browsing an auction and thought that the style was "off".

Looking at the auction description they declare the tooling. "Details on this type were tooled with meticulous care." but then go on to grade the coin as "Exremely Fine" (sic).

Coin 1 attached below:-

The question that always crosses my mind in these cases is "How much if that detail is real?"

I am not very familiar with the type and thought it a worthwhile exercise to look at untooled examples to get an idea of what it should look like as a bit of self education. As part of this exercise I stumbled across the following, which I believe to be the "host" or "before tooling" example of the coin. I come to this conclusion by the congruence of much of the underlying die and flan shape.

Coin 2 attached below:-

This makes it much easier to determine what detail is "enhanced".

I must admit that I prefer the "before" coin but then that's me....

Martin

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: An example of tooling
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 07:22:55 am »
I an only agree!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 07:25:24 am »
Not much of the original coin left is there?

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 07:52:52 am »
Agree with everything here but is the location of "Fake coins ..." not a bit to severe for this topic  :o!

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 08:05:02 am »
The forum fake reports has a separate section for Tooled coins and thus I feel this sub-board is entirely appropriate. I will leave it up to Joe to disagree and I am happy to move it elsewhere under his guidance but honestly think that this is the correct sub-board for such topics.
Martin

Online mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 08:44:42 am »
The irony is, to me, that they have strengthened so many details and yet totally obliterated Trajan's aegis that is evident on the untooled coin.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 08:48:16 am »
I noticed that too. Changing it to slight drapery.... truncating the tip of the bust in the process.

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 09:46:53 am »
Well, reacting directly in the topic, I was not aware that we are in a sub-board here.
The thing is ... I myself bought this Faustina Junior RIC 1401 a good while ago, because it was the nicest portrait of Faustina I had ever seen.
I believe someone  helped here a bit to put the silhouette in clear line and now ... I would not be very happy to see this coin banned to "Fake coins".
That is why I reacted a bit emotionally  :-\.

Offline maridvnvm

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 10:02:32 am »
On your coin it looks as though they have removed some patina to sharpen the outline. This is often referred to as smoothing. None of the fabric of the original coun appears to have been changed. On the coin above they have engraved detail into the metal of the original that was never there and have even removed some detail and replaced it with others e.g. the aegis discussed above. This changing of the fabric of the coin to add or change detail is tooling.

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 04:54:45 am »
I thought, when it seems that you are besides the question in someones topic, do not make it worse by sending a new message but get off the line.
Then again, maybe it is not bad to have the difference between smoothing and tooling in one topic, even if that was not the intention.

I realise that adding and oblitering details on a coin is a serious intervention in the authenticity of it, which leads to falsification.
But I realise aswell that I would probably not see it if I got such a coin under my eyes  :-\.

That's why I was in doubt if I would send a further reaction here.
I hereby want to say "thank you" for your message "maridvnvm".

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 01:14:45 pm »
I think it is fraudulent to grade a tooled coin Extremely Fine, even if it is identified as tooled.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity