Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: celtic coin id  (Read 373 times)

Offline Neca P

• Legionary
celtic coin id
« on: May 16, 2023, 08:45:38 pm »
I've tried founding this type on catalogues and online auctions, but seem to fail to find an exact match.
If someone has literature, or knows what type and the rarity of the coin, please write.
Diameter is 10mm, and the weight is 1.07 grams
Any help much appreciated

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Re: celtic coin id
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 11:35:04 pm »
Might be a "Dachreiter" Type, Lanz 457-460. These are listed as Drachms and look to be generally a little larger in diameter and heavier in weight than your example. None that I see have the torque behind the bust. The "Kugelwange" type are very similar. Probably something of this nature although I agree with you that I don't find an exact match.
Eugene

Offline Neca P

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 05:52:28 pm »
Thank you Edessa! So this could be a rare variation or possibly unique? What would an estimated value be of such a coin?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 07:28:41 am »
We do not do evaluations here.  Please see the rules.  In any event, a minor variation often has little if any effect on value, particularly on Celtic coins, where variations are frequent.

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 02:43:45 pm »
Celtic coin catalogs will list several examples of each type with many photos because the dies vary so much, the work is generally highly stylized, and the strikes are often poor. This is a bit of a generalization, but it's one reason that minor die variations are not as highly prized as it would be for a Roman or Greek issue.
Eugene

All coins are guaranteed for eternity