Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Opinions of Roman Silver Coins, Volume I, Republic to Augustus  (Read 277 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
I am looking for a book that does a decent job of covering Republican coins. This may be the the only coins where I am interested in almost only silver, so this would work if good. Sear's Roman coins book just isn't comprehensive enough and the holy grail, Crawford, is totally out of reach. This book, Roman Silver Coins, Volume I, Republic to Augustus by Seaby is readily available, including in the Forum shop. I have almost bought it a couple of times from Forum, but wanted to hear what y'all think. Is it worthwhile? I don't need anything super detailed, but want more than my Sear Roman coins book offers.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Re: Opinions of Roman Silver Coins, Volume I, Republic to Augustus
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 02:21:42 pm »

Hey Virgil:  You may have noticed, RSC is the lead reference I use for Roman silver.  I have the entire set including Vol. I.  As the title implies, RSC I includes what many of us call imperatorial issues. I think it is a great reference alone, but supplement with Sydenham and Sear HCRI where appropriate. (I too would like to have Crawford but will await the next reprint hopefully in affordable paperpack.) If you have or have seen any of Volumes II through V, Vol. I is similar with respect to the technical descriptions of the coins, representative (but not comprhensive) plates, and some discussion of historical characters and events.  I certainly think it's worth the modest cost. 

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 02:27:47 pm »
I have RSC 1-4 and I find them useful.
Of course my Roman collection is very small so I've never really needed anything else.

~ Peter

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 03:13:41 pm »
All of the five RSC volumes are excellent.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 07:52:36 am »
Thanks everyone, the only Roman book I have that covers the Republican period is the Sear single volume Roman Coins and Their Values. It is often inadequate even for my relatively nonspecialized needs. And while I do specialize to some degree in a few areas, I approach the Republicans from an almost purely eye appeal type of collecting, with a nod to history and subjects. This one sounds like it will meet most of my needs. I have never seen any of the volumes because I collect a lot of bronze and usually get books that include all the metals.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity