Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Significance of the Bull on Kings of Paphlagonia Coin  (Read 312 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Significance of the Bull on Kings of Paphlagonia Coin
« on: May 01, 2023, 05:39:26 pm »
I just got this coin from the Kings of Paphlagonia, it as a facing bull on the obverse and a winged caduceus on the reverse. My wife wants a necklace made for it, and she really wants to know the meanings behind the images on the coin. I am assuming that the caduceus is in homage to Hermes and the bull is most likely an homage to Zeus. But, I am asking the experts here for your opinions on the bull, in particular. She wants to be able to talk intelligently about the coin if asked. She is a Taurus, which is one reason she was drawn to it. I am fine having a necklace made, even though that is not something I would normally do. This coin was not expensive, so that isn't an issue. Anyway, the significance of both the bull and caduceus would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Significance of the Bull on Kings of Paphlagonia Coin
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 02:31:23 am »
There is an article by Murat KARASALİHOĞLU, "Paphlagonia’da Zeus Kültü ve Boğa Bağlantısı" (The Cult of Zeus and the Bull Connection in Paphlagonia), Cedrus X (2022), pp. 165-190:
https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/download/article-file/1988471
It is in Turkish with an English summary, perhaps that helps.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 04:15:41 am »
Nice, refreshing message, Virgil, and interesting too.
Surely even more appealing to everyone, with a picture of the coin of this topic, I thought.
I guess this is the type  :) ?

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 09:06:18 am »
Thanks Jan, that looks like the perfect article. also, I will put in the photo of mine, but yes it is same type as yours.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 09:16:40 am »
Also, just looked at the article and the English abstract is perfect, as well as the illustrations. Thank you again, this is just what I needed.

Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 09:18:53 am »
Also sorry, I meant to thank Altamura for the article.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity