Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Lead Votive "Danubian Rider" Plaque Help with Ertl Type?  (Read 413 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Attached below is a photo of a Roman, Lead Votive "Danubian Rider" Plaque, c. 3rd - Early 4th Century A.D. The primary reference with typology for these plaques is
Ertl, R. Donaureiter-Bleivotivtafeln: Versuch einer Typologie. (Petronell-Carnuntum, 1996). I do not have the reference and cannot find a copy. If you have access to this reference, please advise the Ertl type for this plaque (and the description given if possible). If you know of a copy of Ertl of sale, please let me know. Thanks, Joe
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Roman Lead Votive "Danubian Rider" Plaque Help with Ertl Type?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 05:58:58 pm »
The type is not in Ertl and I find this example very odd and concerning.

Ertl breaks down the plaques by shape of the plaque and panels.  With the pointy top this example would fall into his type E family.

However, it looks nothing like any of his E types, E.1 to E.6.

The biggest problem is the top register with the bust with two snakes.  Not only does this not appear on any E type, it does not appear on any of the 142 types listed in Ertl (Ertl shows over 450 examples in his book but they fall into the 142 different types or moulds).

The bust, with the haircut, drapery and fibula (I think) looks very much like a 4th century style, unlike anything found on the plaques - which date to the 3rd century. 

While the rest of the panels have iconography that generally matches the plaques, it is not laid out in a manner consistent with any other type E example.

All of this makes me suspicious that it is a fake

I also find the images and design rather "chunky".

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 06:19:33 pm »
I’m happy you chimed in Shawn.  I had immediate misgivings about it based on the patina and artistry of the bottom panel.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 11:05:54 pm »
Thanks Shawn and Nick,

I am disappointed to learn it is likely fake. It came to me along with many thousands of coins and other metal objects from the estate of an uncleaned coin collector, more than 10 years ago. I think I valued it at $1 in the buy because, at the time, I had never seen or heard of these plaques. My monetary loss is near zip, but still disappointing.

If you see a copy of Ertl for sale, please let me know.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 03:05:46 pm »
Ave!

Too late for me to chime in...a modern and very poor fake.
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity