Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New to cleaning, is this coin already clean?  (Read 369 times)

Offline Alaistair M

• Legionary
New to cleaning, is this coin already clean?
« on: April 15, 2023, 01:37:32 pm »
The reverse side seems clean to me, a nice green patina, but I'm unsure about the obverse, is that sandy color some sort of patina as well, or is it dirty? I'm open to advice about cleaning it up some, I'm completely new to this.

For more info, here's the coin's page on Numista.com: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces139668.html

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Re: New to cleaning, is this coin already clean?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 02:02:58 pm »
The coin seems absolutely okay to me, as it is.
Allow this Song piece to give evidence of its more than 900 years of age  ;).

Offline Alaistair M

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 03:20:06 pm »
I appreciate the information, I'll enjoy it as is;D

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 10:54:58 am »
Yes, it is clean.  Like most ancient Chinese coins in this state it has almost certainly been cleaned in a chemical bath.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Sap

• Consul
  • It's already tomorrow in Australia.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 12:50:53 pm »
Chinese cash coins often look "sandy", because they were literally made in sand - the mould used to cast them was a sand mould. Fake/replica cash coins often attempt to imitate this sandiness, with varying degrees of success.
I'll have to learn Latin someday.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity