Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Quick help - coin photographs  (Read 615 times)

Offline Paul B11

• Praetorian
Quick help - coin photographs
« on: March 11, 2023, 04:50:14 pm »
Hi all,

I apologize in advance for what must be documented somewhere but I cannot find. New user here.

Many of my coins do not have pictures or even listings online, so I want to add. Numista and Wildwinds are not comprehensive.

I have tried about 10 photo editors today to remove the background and create transparency around the coin. One way or another, the sites/apps eventually want money to continue or download the HD version. Sigh.

Many thanks if there is a pointer to a truly free tool. I don't need any other editing or services. Seems like this might be a tool useful for all coin collectors? I'm already losing all my money on coins. :)

Offline Prieure de Sion

• Praetorian
    • Yothr Collection
Re: Quick help - coin photographs
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 07:05:29 pm »
PhotoScape X

Free for Windows and Mac.
Yothr Collection: https://yothr.me

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 07:34:49 pm »
I use Photoshop elements. Works great.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Paul B11

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 10:21:52 pm »
Thanks, guys!

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 04:04:55 pm »
Also, look at The GIMP, open source and free. I would add that you don't really need to eliminate backgrounds, I have found that way harder than useful. Photograph on a black or white background with decent lighting. Daylight works well, too.

Virgil

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 05:07:04 am »
I have been using a white casserole dish with a sheet of picture frame glass over the top, and a sidelight from a white bulb in a desk lamp.  Low tech, but it gives a white background without shadows.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 10:27:11 am »
PhotoScape X

Prieure,

I use Photoscape X for my editing needs also, but I have not found how to remove the background.  The only thing I found was using the "paint" function, but that required carefully circling the entire coin and being careful not to cut into the actual coin.  Can you share how to use the function that eliminates the background?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

All coins are guaranteed for eternity