Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What is the title of Alfoldi’s work referencing Claudius II antoniniani ?  (Read 478 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul

I recently added this Claudius II to my collection of she-wolf and twins denarii and antoniniani. I have seen it referenced mostly as Alfoldi 50,7, but I cannot locate the actual title of the work being cited. Any help with that title and whether it’s available online would be appreciated. I have searched online already at length but perhaps I missed it. Thanks in advance.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
If you click on the word Alfoldi, you can go to Numiswiki and find the reference below; which might be what you are looking for...though it says Siscia in the title. There are several other works listed also.

Alföldi, A. Siscia. Vorarbeiten zu einem Corpus der in Siscia geprägten Römermünzen II. Die Prägungen von Claudius II. und Quintillus. (Budapest, 1938).

Numizmatikai Közlöny 34-35 (1935-1936), pp. 3-23.

Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Ken W2

• Consul

Thanks Victor. I did check Numiswiki and think the Alfoldi 1938 listed there may be what I’m looking for. The title of that work loosely translated is Roman coinage and history in the east between 260 and 270. Most “sources” online attribute this coin to Smyrna, and that would would fit with the in the east part. Thanks again.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
... and think the Alfoldi 1938 listed there may be what I’m looking for. The title of that work loosely translated is Roman coinage and history in the east between 260 and 270. ...
This article can be seen online here  :) : https://books.google.de/books?id=X7ii1Kk2DWgC&hl=de&pg=PA47#v=onepage&q&f=false

Regards

Altamura

Offline Ken W2

• Consul

Thanks Altamura.  I followed the link but was unable to open the entire book. I’ll keep working on it. I guess if
I can input the right search term I can peek inside at the correct page. Do you know if 50,7 means page 50, plate 7 ? Thanks again.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
...  I followed the link but was unable to open the entire book. ...
Google seems to perform some sort of geoblocking :-\, here in Germany I see it. You could try to use a proxy.

... Do you know if 50,7 means page 50, plate 7 ? ...
Probably not, there are no coins of Claudius II on page 50  :-\ .
But: There is a collection of articles by Andreas Alföldi "Studien zur Geschichte der Weltkrise des 3. Jahrhunderts n. Chr." which appeared 1967 and contains this article. Perhaps there was used a different numbering of pages and plates and "50, 7" refers to that.

In any case this article seems to be right one, it does contain several coins of this she-wolf and twins type :).

Regards

Altamura

Offline Ken W2

• Consul

Thank you again Altamura !  I found and could view the table of contents to that collection of articles, but not the articles themselves.  I have an email into UGent to see see if they can help.  I also see that (maybe) a copy of the collection of articles is available at a modest price in Germany, but want to be sure my coin is in it before I order it.   

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Here are the two plate coins in the book of Altamura. Hope it can help.
DT

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Thanks Dominic.  Still working on it, but I’m leaning to MER-RIC 834. The other cuirassed bust (no drape) in MER-RIC, No. 814, has no pellets. It is attributed to Alfoldi 1938 XXVII 12. I’m pretty sure there is one pellet on the obverse. Not sure about a second. The 2 pellet coin in MER-RIC, No. 855, has a draped and cuirassed bust. Does Alfoldi say anything about the obverse pellets ? I will also look for Gysen’s 1999 article on Claudius’ coins from Smyrna; perhaps it will shed some light. Thanks

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: What is the title of Alfoldi’s work referencing Claudius II antoniniani ?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 08:46:21 pm »
This one is also listed on wildwinds as Alfoldi 50,7. Are you sure the reference of your specimen is correct ?
DT

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Re: What is the title of Alfoldi’s work referencing Claudius II antoniniani ?
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 09:33:09 pm »
Wildwinds is one place I saw the Alfoldi 50,7 reference.  But note the bust on that coin is draped and cuirassed. It also appears to have two pellets so apparently MER-RIC 855.  Wildwinds lists it as Rome or Milan, mistakenly? My seller, a well known auction house, attributed as MER-RIC 855.  I think it is 834, perhaps 814. I’ll keep working on it, but may open an identification help thread on this one.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
You could also submit your coin here:
DT
https://ric.mom.fr/fr/coin/834

Hey Dominic: I tried to submit this coin as a new listing (there is no bust type B1, 2nd officina (2 pellets) on MER-RIC yet), but there is no “upload photo” tab on the page for submitting a new listing. There is an “upload photo” tab on pages for adding another example of a coin already listed. I did go ahead and fill the form and sent it in, but without a photo for the reason stated above. 

Is that how it works on MER-RIC— first you send the info and if they agree it’s a new listing for them then they ask you to send photos?

Any help figuring this out appreciated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity