Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Professionally Cleaned Hadrian Denarius  (Read 575 times)

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
Professionally Cleaned Hadrian Denarius
« on: December 10, 2022, 05:12:08 am »
I’m a complete ignoramus when it comes to cleaning ancient coins. However, my Hadrian denarius is a perfect example of how even the worst coin can be brought back to almost mint state. The denarius comes from the Ropsley Hoard which was found in a very bad state in Lincolnshire by a metal detectorist. The hoard was declared as treasure trove by a coroner, professionally conserved by the British Museum, but subsequently disclaimed and returned to the finder.

Hadrian (11 Aug 117 - 10 Jul 138 AD), Silver Denarius, Ropsley Hoard 21, RIC II 234d, RSC II 615, BMCRE III 608, Strack II 231, Hunter II -, SRCV I -, EF, excellent portrait, well-centred and sharply struck on a tight flan, lightly toned, little wear, some hoard encrustations both sides, edge cracks, weight 3.27g, maximum diameter 18.0mm, die axis 200°, Rome mint, 134-8 AD; obverse HADRIANVS-AVG COS III P P, laureate head right; reverse FELICI-T-AS AVG (Happiness of the Emperor), Felicitas, draped, standing half-left, caduceus in right hand, olive branch in left.

Offline Josiah Y

• Legionary
Re: Professionally Cleaned Hadrian Denarius
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 09:20:05 am »
That is very impressively done! Any idea what the brown is and how the cleaner knew to leave it alone? The quality of the picture is impressive aswell

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 11:55:58 am »
Possibly a real rust - ferrous oxide - which simply survived the chemical cleaning method (possible acetic or citric acid and then DW rinsing).

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 12:59:58 pm »
I'm with SC, the BM would likely have started with diluted citric acid on silver coins, probably applied with a cotton swab (dealers often just soak them outright in lemon juice, but the BM would be more careful). They would have mechanically picked off enough encrustation to reveal it was silver first.

Bronze coins would have been treated quite differently by the conservationists.

It's common that some deposits from adjacent coins or soil mineralization would remain after the obvious non-invasive methods. In this case, the remaining deposits do not take away from the coin and I too would have left them alone.

A dw soak with the water changed every day for a week or so would completely neutralize the citric solution.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 02:38:49 pm »
Given the original condition of the hoard, I would suspect recrystallized copper leaching from the slightly impure silver matrix.  Ammonia might remove it, but would also risk taking more copper from the silver and leaving a brittle surface.  I would also leave it as is, very nice.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity