Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Where start to make my collection more interesting?  (Read 501 times)

Offline Richard, Sweden

• Auxiliary
Where start to make my collection more interesting?
« on: November 14, 2022, 05:08:20 am »
Hi! I'm Richard, 42 years old, from Sweden.

I find this site today when I was reuptaking an old hobby. When I was about 10 years old I got some ancient greek and roman coins of my dad, which I was very fascinated over. They was nearly 2000 years old. Then, the internet didn't exist. Later, about 15 years ago, I looked for more ancient coins and bought some big lots of coins, but my economy allowed uncleaned coins in pretty bad quality, but there are som interesting coins, for example from Augustus, Caligula and Nero. But the most of my collection with over 500 coins, is unidentified.

But I didn't come no further with the identification. And I tried to clean them in different ways, (well, please don't ban me now) but I tried with hydrocloric acid and electrolysis... ::) (only a few of them).

Three years ago I inherited one collection with a lot of ancient things from my uncle, som ancient coins, but also other things, such as things from the vikings, old roman antiques and much items that I don't know what it is.

Now I had my collection in a glass shelf...

At the top is som meteorites, and then stones that was used as tools inte stoneages, som arrow heads from bronze and iron age, som stone figures from Indus Valley and Mesopotamia.

In the middle is mostly unidentified things, and som things from the viking era.

At the bottom, I've the coins. The bag far at the bottom is filled with unidetified items, which I found later in my uncles estate!

I want to make a good collection of my items, with as much as it can, to be identified and get a history behing the item! I'm also open to buy more items, but my economy still doesen't allows items for thousands of dollars. But I've seen there are cheaper but still intresting items!

So, give me all your good tips! :) Such were it is easiest to get help with identification of the coins and items, how to take care of them and clean them. I want to build a private museum with much stories behind the items!

As well I look forward to view all your other collections!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Where start to make my collection more interesting?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 06:01:45 pm »
Welcome Richard!

You have come to the right place.

Spend a bit of time exploring this site and its many topic areas.

There is an entire section devoted to cleaning coins, another to identification of coins, others for antiquities.  But I suggest spending a bit of time reading first before posting your questions.

Also, a key rule is to only post one item for identification per message, as that makes replying easier.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 06:10:59 pm »
Fantastic collection.  Welcome!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 07:27:24 pm »
Looks very interesting, I think. Personally, I enjoy identifying coins and objects and then learning more about the time and place and the people who made them. My interest in investigating the history of things.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 10:12:05 pm »
You have some very interesting items and welcome to the forums. The learning curve is not easy, but this site can help. As folks mentioned, there are a lot of good articles on the Numiswiki and this forum, and, as I try to think how to help you, I would say start by trying to divide the collection into categories, such as Roman and Greek. For coins, especially, there are different ways and references to search for each, as well as other areas in antiquity and various artifacts. It is a somewhat daunting task, but in time you will develop a system for identification. Good luck and keep us informed. I absolutely love the process of identifying these things, as frustrating as it can be.

Regards,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity