Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Suspect seller from Cyprus offering Pescennius Niger, Macrinus etc  (Read 810 times)

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
Stumbled across a seller from Cyprus offering this Pescennius Niger and many other suspect coins, none marked as reproductions.

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Re: Suspect seller from Cyprus offering Pescennius Niger, Macrinus etc
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 03:57:47 pm »
The coins he is offering and the red background look familiar.

No completed sales for a couple of months. Maybe the same seller that changed his name and waited one month for the "changed named" status to disappear before getting back to the business of selling fakes. I'd hazard a guess that most prolific fake sellers are aware that they have been added to the NFSL

EDIT: I have since looked at die matches in the fake reports. The coin pictured below from the reports was sold by "machairidis14" (no longer a registered ebay user), a seller from Greece already on the NFSL. The new seller in question has listings that use the same background. (same texture as well). Greece/Cyprus, purplish textured backgrounds...coincidence? I am willing to bet it is the same person or entity.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-16483

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:46:50 pm »
When I got my bunch they were said to be Slavei's.  The Pescennius is 2nd row right.  Recently we are seeing more with toning and dirt added.  All are struck from the same alloy and same fabric making this wholly unlike a genuine Pescennius. 

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 07:41:40 am »
Fake coin reports as appropriate please.

NSFL nomination please.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 07:18:51 am »