Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266373 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Meepzorp's coin website
« Reply #1625 on: March 12, 2023, 02:21:58 pm »
Congratulations on a truly great accomplishment!!!

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the comment. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1626 on: March 12, 2023, 02:24:25 pm »
Quote from: Curtis JJ on March 12, 2023, 01:51:56 pm
If it involves shipping artifacts of human numismatic achievement through outer space & back to the home planet, make sure you get the proper export licenses where required!

Hi CJJ,

;D :o ::) ;D

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1627 on: March 12, 2023, 02:48:41 pm »
Hear! Hear!

I didn't know there would be a finish line. On the front of your site I see that you've been collecting ~25 years. I didn't know haven't found a description of the different phases of the project, but now I'm curious to know what they are...

Hi CJJ,

Phase I of my project lasted 18 months. I had about 20-30 coins with bronze disease, some mild, some moderate, and some severe. For 18 months, I treated them by soaking them in sodium sesquicarbonate.

Phase II of my project also lasted 18 months. In this phase of my project, I basically "cleaned up" my inadequate and/or sloppy tags. Over the years, I purchased ancient coins from many different dealers. Some of those dealers used hand-written tags. Many of those hand-written tags were sloppy or severely lacking in information (or both). I re-wrote hundreds of my tags, making them neater and more full of information. This process took 18 months.

In particular, I purchased hundreds of coins (at least 200 coins) from Mr. Lindgren before he passed away. As you probably know, he was a famous collector who owned about 10,000 ancient coins. He turned into a dealer near the end of his life in order to properly dispose of his collection. Unfortunately, Mr. Lindgren stored his coins in paper packets, not plastic flips. Over the many decades that he owned his coins, the seams on the paper packets split open, and the coins were falling out. Also, he wrote the information about the coins by hand on the paper packets. He had sloppy handwriting, and the packets were severely lacking in information. They contained very brief descriptions of the coins, and that was it. Consequently, I had re-write close to 100% of my Lindgren tags. Of course, I wrote them neater. And I wrote much more thorough information. His tags were such a disaster that I was able to save only a tiny fraction of them (maybe 1-2%). In some cases, I saved only pieces of them, because the paper packets were literally disintegrating. It is a shame because I would have liked to have saved many more of his handwritten tags.

Phase III of my project was my website. This phase took 7 1/2 years.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1628 on: March 12, 2023, 02:54:03 pm »
I didn't know there would be a finish line. On the front of your site I see that you've been collecting ~25 years.

Hi CJJ,

Why wouldn't there be a finish line?

Eventually, I was going to run out of "previously acquired" material to post.

Of course, as I stated above, I will continue to post my "new arrivals".

Meepzorp

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #1629 on: March 12, 2023, 04:08:08 pm »
Congratulations Meep. What a heck of an accomplishment.

Tracy

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #1630 on: March 12, 2023, 06:06:36 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on March 12, 2023, 02:48:41 pm
In particular, I purchased hundreds of coins (at least 200 coins) from Mr. Lindgren before he passed away. As you probably know, he was a famous collector who owned about 10,000 ancient coins. He turned into a dealer near the end of his life in order to properly dispose of his collection. Unfortunately, Mr. Lindgren stored his coins in paper packets, not plastic flips. Over the many decades that he owned his coins, the seams on the paper packets split open, and the coins were falling out. Also, he wrote the information about the coins by hand on the paper packets. He had sloppy handwriting, and the packets were severely lacking in information. They contained very brief descriptions of the coins, and that was it. Consequently, I had re-write close to 100% of my Lindgren tags. Of course, I wrote them neater. And I wrote much more thorough information. His tags were such a disaster that I was able to save only a tiny fraction of them (maybe 1-2%). In some cases, I saved only pieces of them, because the paper packets were literally disintegrating. It is a shame because I would have liked to have saved many more of his handwritten tags.

Oh yes, I have spent a lot of time noticing all your Lindgren coins! It's quite a special "Lindgren Collection-Collection." I wasn't 100% certain which of my envelopes were written by him until I compared to the handwriting/paper types in your images.

I also checked your coins against an empty Lindgren envelope that I have (vol III, 379, from Miletos) -- I've been hoping to find the owner & reunite it with its coin -- and a page of notes I think he made while preparing to sell 9 or 10 plate coins from his third volume (Nos. 436, 532/582, 825, 886, 947, 1147, 1225, 1313). (It was all laid inside my copy of vol. III.). His cursive isn't the easiest to read, but when he wrote in block letters it's much better.

I paid attention to yours because one of my own favorite "provenance clusters" is Lindgren. My "Lindgren Cluster" includes about 9 of his collection coins (6 in his books -- one of them illustrated in two volumes, plus errata entries in both vols! -- and 6 with his envelopes), his 3 books (one signed), a Malloy catalog that I discovered illustrated 2 of the coins, and the folder with his (I think) handwritten notes and empty envelope & tag. Next I'm hoping to add a run of Antioch Associates catalogs. The Malloy catalog was ex-BCD Library, which happily connects my Lindgren Cluster to my "BCD Cluster" & "Malloy Cluster," which are, in turn, connected to others. (Not sure what to call them besides "clusters," but that's what I collect. This one has helped me learn a lot more about Greek/RPC bronze coins.)

(Personal question, if you know & feel comfortable answering: Did he smoke cigarettes? My Lindgren III, signed by him & with the written material inside, was definitely owned by a smoker!)

Here's a thumbnail of a group photo showing all my Lindgren stuff together (for a few more photos, see [external LINK])

Click image = expand 
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1631 on: March 13, 2023, 06:01:07 am »
Congratulations Meep. What a heck of an accomplishment.

Tracy

Hi TA,

Thank you for the comment. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1632 on: March 13, 2023, 06:27:38 am »
HI CJJ,

Those definitely look like Lindgren tags (paper packets).

Regarding his books, I have volumes 2 and 3, which you appear to have. I purchased them directly from Mr. Lindgren. He signed the books for me and included a short note. My Lindgren books don't smell like cigarette smoke. I have no idea if he was a smoker. I assume that you didn't purchase your books directly from him. You may have purchased them from someone else after Mr. Lindgren passed away. It is possible that the previous owner was a smoker.

I never met Mr. Lindgren in person. I spoke to him on the phone many times, probably about 30-50 times. Some of my phone conversations with him were quite lengthy. He was very educational to speak to. I felt like I was in college when I spoke to him. He was in "college professor mode" even when he was selling his coin collection. That was back in the days before I had internet access (circa 1999-2003).

I have many of his Antioch Associates catalogs, both his auction catalogs (with photos) and his discount lists (without photos). They are not for sale. They were "low budget" productions (nothing fancy). Only a small fraction of his coins for sale (maybe 10-20%) had photos, and those were black and white photos. About 80-90% of his coins for sale were "text descriptions only" (no photos). His catalogs were certainly nowhere near as nice as today's high quality auction catalogs. I think that his catalogs were also published in the "Celator" magazine.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1633 on: May 08, 2023, 03:47:00 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I installed an update to my website.

I have 2 Roman Provincial, Sicily, uncertain mint, Augustus coins that were very recently (within the past few weeks) attributed to Agrigentum. Consequently, I moved those 2 coins from my uncertain mint page to my Agrigentum page.

Here is a link:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_sicily_agri_lily.htm

I have some "new arrivals" to post, which I will probably do tomorrow. Tonight, I have another update to install. I need to split and re-arrange some of my Medieval Italy pages.

Meepzorp

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #1634 on: May 08, 2023, 04:54:49 pm »
So any other big projects in mind other than keeping your pages updated??

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1635 on: May 09, 2023, 01:28:55 am »
Hi SC,

I am currently working on a big project now, but it is not numismatics related. When I am done with this project (which may take a few years), I may begin another numismatics project. I'll see.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1636 on: May 09, 2023, 01:30:48 am »
Hi folks,

I was planning on updating, splitting, and re-arranging some of my Medieval Italy pages tonight. But something came up, and I couldn't get to it. I will probably do it tomorrow.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1637 on: May 10, 2023, 12:16:18 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I re-arranged and re-organized my Medieval Italy, Colonial Genoese pages. I also expanded that section from 9 pages to 11 pages. I re-numbered dozens of files. I did this to accommodate future growth.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1638 on: May 11, 2023, 02:51:49 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one coin to each of my following website pages:

Greek Italy, Campania, Cales, Bronze, Part 1 (third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_cales_ae01.htm

Greek Italy, Campania, Neapolis, Bronze, Part 9 (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_neap_ae09.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them within the past few weeks.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1639 on: May 12, 2023, 02:38:03 am »
Hi folks,

Greek Sicily, Akragas, Part 1 (third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gs_sicl_akragas_pt01.htm

Greek Sicily, Hybla Megala (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gs_sicl_herb_hybla.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them within the past few weeks.

Meepzorp

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #1640 on: May 14, 2023, 02:12:58 pm »
I love your latest additions, especially the Campania coins.

Virgil

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1641 on: May 14, 2023, 10:06:23 pm »
Hi VH,

Thanks for the message. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1642 on: May 17, 2023, 11:34:01 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I re-arranged and re-organized my Roman Provincial, Egypt pages. Those pages were a mess.

I also expanded that section from 5 pages to 6 pages. I also corrected 6 errors. I re-numbered dozens of photos.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1643 on: May 28, 2023, 01:41:05 am »
Hi folks,

Medieval Italy, Colonial Genoese, Part 2, Caffa (third coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mi_gencol_pt02.htm

Medieval Italy, Colonial Genoese, Part 10, Rhodes (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mi_gencol_pt10.htm

Roman Provincial, Asia Minor, Uncertain Mint:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_asiam_um.htm

These are new arrivals. I just received them today.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1644 on: May 28, 2023, 11:27:22 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 coins to my following website page:

Medieval Italy, Colonial Genoese, Part 3, Caffa (second and fourth coins):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/mi_gencol_pt03.htm

I also added one medal to my following website page:

Medals, Italy, Gioberti (last medal):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/medalitl_ghib_giob.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them yesterday.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1645 on: May 28, 2023, 11:30:19 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I also edited my Medieval Italy, Colonial Genoese, Part 10, Rhodes page.

Based on my observations, I added a note to my Rhodes coin that I posted yesterday.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1646 on: September 03, 2023, 09:58:04 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I began the process of expanding my Roman Republic section from 44 pages to 51 pages. I have 7 pages that need to be split. I am doing this to accommodate future growth. Some of those pages were getting too crowded.

I am working in reverse order because it is easier that way. It avoids confusion and over-lapping files and filenames.

I spent 3 hours today working on this. I am about 1/3 of the way done. At this rate, the entire process will take me about 9 hours of work. I have literally hundreds of files to re-number.

I began with page 44 (old page), which is now new page 51. So far today, working in reverse order, I made it up to page 27 (old page), which is now new pages 33 and 34. That is one of the pages I split.

I plan on doing some more tonight and probably more tomorrow.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1647 on: September 04, 2023, 02:23:09 am »
Hi folks,

Tonight, working in reverse order, I did up to page 16 (old page), which I split into pages 18 and 19 (new pages).

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1648 on: September 05, 2023, 12:00:04 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I finally completed the process of expanding my Roman Republic section from 44 pages to 51 pages.

All total, it took me about 9 hours of work. I re-numbered hundreds of files.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1649 on: September 05, 2023, 01:50:43 am »
Hi folks,

Tonight, I expanded my Greek Italy, Lucania, Paestum section from 2 pages to 3 pages.

I also expanded my Roman Provincial, Sicily, Panormus section from 1 page to 2 pages.

I did this to accommodate future growth.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity