Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anonymous Roman Quadrigati  (Read 3942 times)

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
Anonymous Roman Quadrigati
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:38:26 pm »

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Re: Anonymous Roman Quadrigati
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 05:31:26 am »
That's a tough one

JC

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:53:15 am »
That's a tough one

JC

l was thinking exactly the same. This is an issue where style and engraving quality vary tremendously so one can rarely make choices just bases on condition. I'm afraid I ducked the decision by giving both top grades.

Offline Paddy

• Consul
  • Marcus Ulpius Traianus Maior
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 12:37:46 pm »
Tough choice, yes, I agree. I will say this much though, flowlines are a thing of beauty on ancient coins. The clearer the better... I know which coin gets my vote..

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 01:41:42 am »

This is an issue where style and engraving quality vary tremendously so one can rarely make choices just bases on condition. I'm afraid I ducked the decision by giving both top grades.

+++  +++  +++

Agreed, they are both wonderful in their own way.  It just wasn't possible for me to rate one below the other, I'm afraid.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:22:08 am »
One of these coins will win the head to head and one of them will lose.

However, I have been reading the comments and I agree with Andrew McCabe.

Therefore, in this instance because of the major stylistic differences in the two coins and the exceptional condition of both of them, unless anyone thinks otherwise I feel that it would benefit the gallery as a resource if both winner and loser stayed in it after the end of the contest.

*Alex.  

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 10:54:53 am »
Therefore, in this instance because of the major stylistic differences in the two coins and the exceptional condition of both of them, unless anyone thinks otherwise I feel that it would benefit the gallery as a resource if both winner and loser stayed in it after the end of the contest.

*Alex.  

Fine with me.  I would suggest, however, that the "winner" get a 2013 badge in recognition of the contest.  

Chris

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 11:51:28 am »
I agree, it is a good idea to keep both coins. The second (darker toned) coin is of a style that is presumed to date from before the second Punic war, in the 220s BC, with a classically Greek-style head of Janus. Probably it was from the Rome mint. The first coin has an engraving style that suggests it was perhaps from a provincial or military mint during the early years of the second Punic war - elegant, in fine style, but not classically Greek. Later in the war, things got very much worse, both in terms of style and silver content! A good decision by Alex.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 12:32:09 pm »
Quote from: carthago on October 28, 2013, 10:54:53 am

Fine with me.  I would suggest, however, that the "winner" get a 2013 badge in recognition of the contest.  

Chris

Don't worry, there will still be a winner of the head to head contest and that coin will get the "badge", that is why I said one of the coins will win and one will lose.  ;D

But both coins will remain in the gallery and therefore be readily available for others to view or study. It was always intended that the BOT gallery be a resource of the nicest and/or rarest coins and the head to heads were only initiated as a fun way of involving FORVM members in the removal of duplicates. Despite them having the same attribution the differences are such that these coins cannot really be considered to be duplicates.

*Alex

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:27:20 am »
Voting over and Carthago has won. Congratulations.

Commiserations Moneta Romana, you might have lost the head to head but, for the reasons I've already stated, your coin will remain in the BOT gallery.

Thank you to everyone who took part in this contest and thanks too for all the comments.

*Alex

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 12:27:06 pm »
Thank you Alex and everyone for the positive votes.  I'm glad we are keeping both coins.

Carthago

All coins are guaranteed for eternity