Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Titus/Captive added  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Titus/Captive added
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:18:14 pm »
Well, here's my first BOT contribution. I don't think there's another one in the gallery yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-92492

Nemo

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Titus/Captive added
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 08:29:05 pm »
That's a great coin!

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:26:08 pm »
Great coin.

But which defeated captive is he meant to portray?   He doesn't look Jewish does he, but I guess he must be.
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 08:44:20 am »
It could be a Jewish captive, but we don't know. It's often forgotten that the Flavians fought two major wars. One was to recapture Jerusalem, ending in what I believe was the longest siege in the entire history of Imperial Rome.
The other was the civil war against Vitellius. The Flavians owed the army for this, and while it wasn't considered acceptable to glory in a victory over other Romans, it's probably safe to regard these 'anonymous' military issues as payback for both wars.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:12:08 am »

As far as the different appearance of the captive on the reverse, it would seem odd, if representing a Jew, that the captive is beardless as it was the custom for the Jews to wear a beard.  However, during extreme sorrow, shame or humiliation the beard was often mutilated or removed.

Compare Isa. 15:2 "He has gone up to The House and to Di′bon, to the high places, to a weeping. Over Ne′bo and over Med′e·ba Mo′ab itself howls. On all heads in it there is baldness; every beard is clipped."  
And Jeremiah 41:5, "then there came men from She′chem, from Shi′loh and from Sa·mar′i·a, eighty men with their beards shaved off and with their garments ripped apart and with cuts made upon themselves, and there were grain offering and frankincense in their hand to bring to the house of Jehovah."

I agree though, it's unlikely that we will know for sure.  

Nemo

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 05:15:03 pm »
True enough about the beards, but would a Roman die cutter know the nuances of the Jewish faith?  Possibly but not necessarily.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 05:26:33 pm »
True enough about the beards, but would a Roman die cutter know the nuances of the Jewish faith?  Possibly but not necessarily.

Yeah, it does seem very unlikely, and, as I know most are aware, this reverse copies an earlier C. Memmius C.f. type.  At the same time, I could see this beardless reverse fitting in with a Jew in mourning which of course was a major theme. 

Nemo

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 06:16:29 pm »

In regards to the captive types, I think these are just generic "captives" and not meant to depict any certain group of people. The type can be used interchangeably with whatever victory needs to be celebrated at the time.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity