Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Titus Tetradrachm  (Read 1787 times)

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Titus Tetradrachm
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:09:28 pm »
Well I've never seen another for sale, so take it out if you can!  This one is also the Wildwinds example!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-68991

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Re: Titus Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:08:08 pm »
Well I've never seen another for sale, so take it out if you can!
Well that brings up the question of voting again Jay.  See, to me this coin is nice but I don't have any interest in Titus, and therefore also have little interest in it's rarity.  So I would be casting my vote on the following criteria.  Fabric, centring, wear, quality of engraving, and possibly even eye appeal.  As such I would probably rate the coin a 3-4, and for arguments sake, let's say I vote 4.
Well, let's also assume that others see it in the same way, and the majority of people voting see it as a 4.  In this instance, the rules are clear
A monthly review which deletes any coin with a rating below 4.1 with more than 10 votes
and the coin is removed.
Now obviously it is not reasonable to expect Forvm staff to view each coin they remove during the regular "house-keeping" task run, and so after 10 votes this coin could be removed.  IF it really is such a rare coin that it may well actually be the best of type......well you know where I am coming from.
regards
Mark

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 09:20:49 pm »
Mark I don't take this BOT too seriously, I'm just happy to have people look at coins they may not ever look at.  I've actually had a few of my coins "taken out" in place of better ones.
 However I would hope that if people do decide to vote they should consider that the gallery is called "Best of Type" and rarity should be taken into consideration if all the other types known are slugs.  Sometimes I refrain from voting just because I don't know enough about a certain series to make a judgement.  That being said I think almost all of the coins in the Best of Type are placed there not just to have a coin in the BOT gallery but because there really is something special or interesting about it, be it the style, rarity or beauty of the coin.  

The only thing I think is unfair is when people vote a coin they know nothing about very low.  But then again...it's only the internet!  ;)

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:43:32 pm »
Jay, great example!  I do understand such skewed nuances that will occur in the voting process.  In fact, I was thinking about how it is even possible for an inferior coin to keep a better one out.   I submitted a pretty nice coin to BOT several years ago and it has over 1,200 views, 9 positive comments, and 5/5 with 15 votes.  Let's suppose tomorrow someone adds a spectacular specimen of this same coin.  It would be improbable that it would gain enough votes in the "comparison window" to replace my coin.  What should be done?

Jay, sorry for the intrusion of BOT voting issues into your thread.  Seriously though, that Titus portrait is very nice and bold!

Best, Noah

All coins are guaranteed for eternity