Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: One in the same COL NEM?  (Read 2503 times)

Lloyd Taylor

One in the same COL NEM?
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:09:37 pm »
Some time back I posted an observation and question on this beautiful coin and image in the BoT Gallery:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-2356

No answer forthcoming, so I thought I'd try here.  

I believe that the coin in the BOT is not only a a best of type, but is the plate coin (Sear 1730) illustrated in David R Sear's Roman Coins and Their Values.  I attach a scan below of the plate coin and the BOT coin for comparison.  

Am I missing something in the comparison?  

If as I suspect, why not note it is a plate coin, which straight away sets a very high benchmark for the type in any BoT consideration?

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: One in the same COL NEM?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:47:28 am »
The Nemausus you posted ( Sears plate) was sold in Gemini III lot 337.

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 05:00:47 am »

I see them as being one in the same.  They not only share the same dies and strike, but the scratch marks most noticeable on the obverse are exactly the same on both examples.  Unless one is a fake of the other than it's the same coin IMO.  Good eye Lloyd!

Regards
Mike
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 05:18:51 am »
Benito & Mihali84 - Thanks for the confirmation of the coin match and the recent sale. For a while I thought I must be mad to be the only one to have seen this with no one confirming my observations and my recall as posted on The BoT comments. Definitely and indisputably a BoT.

Benito - do you know what price it realized in Gemini III? I imagine a handsome five figure sum!

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:50:51 am »
3250 USD (buyers premium not included). In fact its a very common coin but very popular (something like the Tiberius tribute penny), and not easy to find in that condition.
The catalogue made the following reference:   Sear, RCTV Millennium Edition 1730 (this specimen illustrated).

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:38:54 am »
To go back to the question opening this thread, I do think that being a plate coin in a reference book is worth mentioning when one posts in the galleries (and of course moreover in the BOT gallery)

Two of my roman coins are plate coins and I found natural to mention the fact.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-67698

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-67820

Them cammanding lots of votes is another story, people have not to feel obliged to vote because it's a plate coin. For me it just means that someone writing a reference book, supposedly has seen many examples of every coin they put a picture of in it, and has chosen that example. No more, no less.

Regards
Potator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity