Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian/Lyrbe/Athena  (Read 560 times)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Gordian/Lyrbe/Athena
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:06:04 am »
I have most of the major references for coins of Cilicia and interestingly I did not find this specimen in this size (AE32) for Gordian III. The type exists as a smaller diameter coin 25 mm in the BnF collection, in Paris, SNG France 504 from the Waddington Collection #4349. The type, Athena wearing double chiton and helmet, standing facing, head right holding patera in extended right hand and lance in left across chest.  Gordian is radiated on the Paris coin. The following example is an AE32. The obverse die is a match to SNG Paris 506-512.

2014.310.3 Cilicia, Lyrbe

Gordian III

AE32; 14.03 g; 12h

Obverse: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC CΕΒ; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Reverse: ΛΥΡ-Β-ЄΙΤΩΝ; Athena, wearing double chiton and Corinthian helmet, standing facing head right; in extended right hand a paters; holds in her left a transverse lance.
Ref: NISC, cf SNG Paris 504 [Waddington 4349] for type. cf SNG Paris 506 for an obverse die match.

c.rhodes

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Gordian/Lybre/Athena
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 12:29:26 pm »
I don't have it in 32mm in my private documentation congratulation! a rare and realy great coin!

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 12:43:26 pm »
Spelled Lyrbe.
A RARE coin, as are most of the coins from this city.! Congratulations!
PeteB

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 01:52:30 pm »
Spelled Lyrbe.
A RARE coin, as are most of the coins from this city.! Congratulations!
PeteB

Thanks Pete, I have it spelled correctly in my notebook - I don't think that I am dyslectic, ro myabe I ma!

c.rhodes

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 01:59:40 pm »
[ ro myabe I ma!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity