Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New to BOT. Seafaring owl.  (Read 1848 times)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
New to BOT. Seafaring owl.
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:33:32 am »
Domitian denarius.
AR denarius. 92 AD. 3,18 grs. Laureate head right. IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P XI / Minerva standing right on capital of rostral column,brandishing javelin and armed with shield. Owl at feet. IMP XXI COS XVI CENS P P P.
 RIC 166. RSC 273.
Very common Domitian Minerva type,but the first one in BOT.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-108293

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: New to BOT. Seafaring owl.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:51:21 am »
Isn't the BOT by RIC number (yours is RIC 730)? If so, your example may be there a long time. I have one in slightly better style (IMHO), but yours is in better condition.

Also, why call it a seafaring owl?

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:44:51 am »
In my RIC its #166 AFAIR ( the book is in storage).
Why the seafaring owl ? Because of the rostral capital ,and the owl standing on the rostrum or prow.
Like Di Caprio on the Titanic.
One should never take his coins too seriously. They can dominate or control you.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 03:05:01 pm »
In my RIC its #166 AFAIR ( the book is in storage).
Why the seafaring owl ? Because of the rostral capital ,and the owl standing on the rostrum or prow.

IMHO, one should use the new RIC reference numbers, especially if the coin is going in the BOT gallery, otherwise it causes confusion. Wildwinds and my Forvm gallery (for silver) have the updated RIC numbers if you're missing the new edition.

Many of the older references mistakenly call it a prow too. Interestingly enough, the new RIC notes Oxford has an example of this 730 type depicting an actual prow instead of the normal columna rostrata.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 05:10:22 pm »
Well, the columna rostrata  has  prows right and left. Ergo the owl is standing on a prow.
In Amsterdam,where I lived for two years there,s a bridge with quite a few rostral columns.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity