Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Traian fourre denar, Contemporary??? or fake???  (Read 806 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Another Traian fourre denar, Contemporary??? or fake???
« on: February 07, 2012, 05:23:00 am »
 ??? ??? ???
Hello Everyone!
I have a Denarius Trajan Fouree-om, I can not decide whether contemporary or modern forgery.
any help would be great
The legend on both sides over a bit confused
quadrans

Traianus_fouree-Denarius_
avers:IMP-AES-NER-TRAIANO-OPTIMO-AVG-GER-D ??
revers:P-M-TR-P-COS-VI-P-P-SPR-Q-PT ??
cross the field:PRO-VID
RIC-??_C-??
18-20mm
3,02g
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Another Traian fourre denar, Contemporary or fake??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:15:43 pm »
Some body have any idea ??
quadrans
My Gallery

TRPOT

Re: Another Traian fourre denar, Contemporary??? or fake???
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:18:16 pm »
You know, I have a couple of plated Hadrians I bought recently that I've been meaning to photograph and post here. When I got the first one, I thought it looked strange. Mirror-smooth fields, very thin plating with breaks exposing mostly un-corroded copper. I thought the fabric of the coin etc seemed "off" and suspected it to be modern. A few weeks later I saw one with a matching reverse die (although it wasn't as pin-sharp) so I bought it to compare the two (it was inexpensive). I certainly think they are a bit odd. I wouldn't go so far as call myself an "expert" but I do have over 100 plated coins so I have somewhat of a feel for what seems normal to me. Your Trajan reminds me a bit of those Hadrians, although I can't tell from that photo if they are as similar as I suspect.

Here are photos of the 2nd one, which looks slightly less odd than the first. I'll have to post pics of the original when I am home from work. Seeing the two together makes them look worse. My opinion is that I don't know for certain that they are modern but I definitely won't buy plated coins with these characteristics again at any price.

TRPOT

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 02:24:44 am »
After looking at your photo again and thinking about the discussions about my coins on another thread, I am of the opinion that your plated coin is most likely ancient. It does not seem to be the product of the same workshop as my coins (which also stand a fair enough chance of being ancient). That's not an "expert" opinion, mind you. Just the opinion of what I'd call an informed collector. The subject of fake plated coins is not well understood, as some have been suspected over the years but very few have been proven. I believe there is only one or two in the Forum fake reports at present.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 02:40:29 am »
Thank you TRPOT.

I followed your discussion an another post it was interesting .
I have some more fourre (plated coin) in my collection.
may be I will start a special folder in my gallery only the fourre-s

best regards

quadrans
My Gallery

rick2

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 05:10:20 am »
contemporary !

the cut that exposed the copper core looks like a test mark
so it must have raised some suspicion at the time , probably it did not sound right

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 10:00:12 am »
The term contemporary means "at the same time" but is also used as a synonym for "modern."  When the term is used regarding ancient coins or antiquities it always means at the same time (ancient).  The dual meaning is confusing and the term contemporary should be avoided unless the meaning is clear from the context.  The term contemporary should particularly be avoided if the readers will likely include new collectors. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 10:22:34 am »
Thank you rick2, and Joe,

regards

quadrans
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity