Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Johannes?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Johannes?
« on: September 12, 2011, 01:45:05 pm »
11mm but no weight. Not in hand yet. Bought as unknown Roman.

Johannes or wishful thinking? It does look similar to RIC 1916 or 1917.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
Re: Johannes?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 02:14:49 pm »
The legend to the upper left of the portrait certainly looks promising, doesn't it?

mz

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 04:48:01 pm »
The legend to the upper left of the portrait certainly looks promising, doesn't it?

mz

I thought so. that's the reason I bought it and the style looked right. The reverse looks nearly identical to the RIC numbers I cited. It seemed a cheap gamble.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 04:51:46 pm »
Well, you will feel either much better or much worse when you get it in hand, right? :)

Any of these LRBs with the legend intact is always a great find.

mz

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 05:33:18 pm »
Well, you will feel either much better or much worse when you get it in hand, right? :)

Any of these LRBs with the legend intact is always a great find.

mz

No venture, no gain. (or loss)

Offline David M3

• Caesar
  • Retired collect as a hobby
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:07:17 pm »
I have hundreds of Constantine area coins wich I have not ID because they are very hard for me most of the legands are just partial and they all seem to look the same. One day I will have to get down and dirty to ID them.
David V McCallum II

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:14:08 am »
I have hundreds of Constantine area coins wich I have not ID because they are very hard for me most of the legands are just partial and they all seem to look the same. One day I will have to get down and dirty to ID them.

David,

Worse than that, some of the emperors of that era appear in multiple volumes of RIC  :P

However, if there is a silver lining, it is that once you get through that batch you should be much better at attribution.

One thing I like to do is browse through the "recent additions" section of FORVM where you can mouse over the coin to get the emperor name and other information. I'm actually getting pretty good at IDing the emperor before mousing over. It's a nice little exercise for your eyes and brain!

mz

Offline pippo72

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 11:52:16 am »
Yes, he's Johannes. The legend, reverse style....no doubt for me

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 05:42:36 pm »
Yes, he's Johannes. The legend, reverse style....no doubt for me

Thank you. I am confident it is too. It has a corrosion hole but the legends and devices are much clearer than many Johannes coins I have seen. For about $20 as an unidentified coin I am very happy.
I think one other bidder may have had an idea of what it may be because I don't think many LRB's in this condition go for $20.

gavignano

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 08:35:19 pm »
Ita a good buy for 20 USD. Its nicer than at least half of the attributed ones for sale. 

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 05:35:19 pm »
Yeah, it's safe to say that the other bidder (me) had the same inkling that was Johannes.  I was only able to view it on my iPhone while at the doctor's office.  If I had seen larger pictures on my desktop, I certainly would have bid more!

Congratulations on a very nice coin!

Cliff

Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 07:26:47 pm »
Yeah, it's safe to say that the other bidder (me) had the same inkling that was Johannes.  I was only able to view it on my iPhone while at the doctor's office.  If I had seen larger pictures on my desktop, I certainly would have bid more!

Congratulations on a very nice coin!

Cliff

Sorry about that. I was quite surprised to get it with only 2 bids. Thanks for having a good sense of humor about it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity