Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Best of Type Gallery  (Read 38801 times)

Offline Will J

• Conservator
  • Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
Re: Best of Type Gallery
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2011, 08:58:51 am »
So how specific will the Best of Type be? Is the type based on city or officina mint? In other words, say two coins from the same city are submitted but from different officina, are the coins in cometition with each other?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2011, 11:44:35 am »
If they have the same reference, they are in competition.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2011, 11:30:01 pm »
I had an idea.  Like Gladiators who would have a win and loss count could we do the same for the winners?  In other words each time a coin goes head to head with another and wins it could get a point or a stat like 2/2 wins.  Possible?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2011, 09:42:54 am »
There isn't any automated way to track wins and losses, and I don't think manual would be easy, so not possible. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2011, 11:34:37 am »
It seems the idea to promote the BOT is a success.  I hope everyone is having fun.  :)  I can't keep up with all the coins added or the BOT challenges.  We are lucky *Alex and Dino volunteered to help.  THANKS!. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2011, 07:23:03 pm »
I would like to generate a bit more interest and activity in the best of type gallery.  The coin of the day thread is popular and my original idea for the best of type gallery was to create that sort of sharing and fun.  I would like to spice it up a bit.  Some ideas:

Add a best of type discussion board instead of the single generic Members' Gallery board. 

A monthly review which deletes any coin with a rating below 4.1 with more than 10 votes and any coin which is the same type as another with a lower score. 

Encouraging people to post challenges (my coin is better) and advertise them on the discussion board.

Anyone like the ideas?  Other ideas?

Nice idea to have the competition but since 90% of the coins are Romans it might be nice to have BOT for Roman and another for 'Greek and Other'.  The Greek coins kind of get lost in the BOT gallery among all those Romans.  One other suggestion is to limit the amount of text accompanying a coin illustration - some of the entries are the length of reference books :)  A link to 'more info' might be better - after all we want to look at all the pretty pictures here more than anything else ...

I agree that having too many sub-galleries in BOT might be overkill (Roman alone could have RR, LRB, etc.) but a simple BOT-Greek and BOT-Roman might be helpful without letting things get out of hand with too many categories.  That said, without categories it's harder to implement a competition unless folks scan a *lot* of images to see if there's one off on some other page that they'd rate higher or lower than the one they're looking at.  I like the idea but not sure the best way to do it so we can see competing coins 'side-by-side'.

PtolemAE

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2011, 10:38:20 am »
I had an idea.  Like Gladiators who would have a win and loss count could we do the same for the winners?  In other words each time a coin goes head to head with another and wins it could get a point or a stat like 2/2 wins.  Possible?

Coins which win a head to head battle in the BOT now get awarded a little laurel-wreath which can be seen when anyone views a winning coin.

Previous BOT contest winners can be found by entering "BOTLAUREL" into the "Search  Galleries" box - this will bring up all the previous contest winners irrespective of which gallery they might have been subsequently moved to.
If you enter in "BOTLAUREL" followed by the year (e.g. BOTLAUREL 2014) this will bring up only the previous contest winners from the year you have selected.

[Edit]
I have made this a bit easier, all the Head to Head winners can now be found here:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=112450.0

*Alex.

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2011, 11:03:56 am »

Nice idea to have the competition but since 90% of the coins are Romans it might be nice to have BOT for Roman and another for 'Greek and Other'.  The Greek coins kind of get lost in the BOT gallery among all those Romans.  One other suggestion is to limit the amount of text accompanying a coin illustration - some of the entries are the length of reference books :)  A link to 'more info' might be better - after all we want to look at all the pretty pictures here more than anything else ...

I agree that having too many sub-galleries in BOT might be overkill (Roman alone could have RR, LRB, etc.) but a simple BOT-Greek and BOT-Roman might be helpful without letting things get out of hand with too many categories.  That said, without categories it's harder to implement a competition unless folks scan a *lot* of images to see if there's one off on some other page that they'd rate higher or lower than the one they're looking at.  I like the idea but not sure the best way to do it so we can see competing coins 'side-by-side'.

PtolemAE

Big thumbs up to this idea. There are some beautiful Greek coins lost in the plethora of Roman denarii.

Having said that, the "top rated" button shows that the Greeks have found their place near the top of the rankings. How long they stay there is anyones guess, since the big push has been to highlight competition between Roman coins.

BR

Mark

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2011, 11:27:42 am »

Nice idea to have the competition but since 90% of the coins are Romans it might be nice to have BOT for Roman and another for 'Greek and Other'.  The Greek coins kind of get lost in the BOT gallery among all those Romans.  One other suggestion is to limit the amount of text accompanying a coin illustration - some of the entries are the length of reference books :)  A link to 'more info' might be better - after all we want to look at all the pretty pictures here more than anything else ...

I agree that having too many sub-galleries in BOT might be overkill (Roman alone could have RR, LRB, etc.) but a simple BOT-Greek and BOT-Roman might be helpful without letting things get out of hand with too many categories.  That said, without categories it's harder to implement a competition unless folks scan a *lot* of images to see if there's one off on some other page that they'd rate higher or lower than the one they're looking at.  I like the idea but not sure the best way to do it so we can see competing coins 'side-by-side'.

PtolemAE

Big thumbs up to this idea. There are some beautiful Greek coins lost in the plethora of Roman denarii.

Having said that, the "top rated" button shows that the Greeks have found their place near the top of the rankings. How long they stay there is anyones guess, since the big push has been to highlight competition between Roman coins.

BR

Mark

I renamed all the titles of coins in the BOT gallery yesterday, the default order is by title.  You can change your viewing sort order but if you leave the default, two coins of the same type (with identical or similar titles) should be next to each other or very close in the sort order.  You shouldn't have to use search to browse the BOT at all (but you can).  For example, if members start titles for Roman Coins with ROMAN, they will fall into the right order.  I will periodically re-title entries to keep a logical sort order.  

If you want to see all the Athens tets, scroll until you find the coins starting with "GREEK, Athens..." (some may be "GREEK, Attica, Athens...").

Really a simple system.  It is meant only to be good fun and to accumulate a beautiful gallery of coins for everyone to enjoy.  

I really fail to see the problem. Thanks to Joe's title renaming, all the Greek coins are already in their own section in the BOT gallery as are the Romans, Byzantines etc.
Dino and I regularly monitor the new additions and ensure that they are displayed in their correct category. The categories appear alphabetically, thus Byzantine followed by Greek appear on the first page.
The gallery order is based on TITLE +. If you have played about with the settings yourself the coins will, of course, be all jumbled up but then the problem is yours, not FORVM's. Order will be restored by clicking on TITLE + in the little blue box on the top right of the page.

Alex.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2011, 08:16:21 am »
I don't think that Greeks are underrepresented.  Especially if you consider the ratio of Greek collectors to Roman collectors who participate in this Forum.

AlexB's Lysimachus (top coin) is hauntingly beautiful:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-14197

Your own Calabria didrachm (bottom coin) is a very elegant coin:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-70789

and Lloyd too has entered numerous wonderful examples.

Offline Jordan S2

• Praetorian
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2012, 09:52:56 pm »
Do we have to wait for another type of our coin to show up before posting it to BOT? Or should we post our coins that we see best fit to compete?
Thanks

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2012, 09:58:27 pm »
No, you do not need to wait.  You can post any coin you believe is worthy.  It will stay there until it gets beaten by another coin or until it's overall rating drops below a 4 after having received a total of 10 or more votes.

So all your entries are welcome.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity