Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Temple reverse - Prov  (Read 633 times)

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
Unknown Temple reverse - Prov
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:41:57 pm »
Hello all,
     This is a provincial that I have been struggling to identify.  It seems like there is enough there to nail it down, but I haven't been able.   It is slightly over 20mm and 4.78g 

I have sound some examples from Lydia especially Nacrasa (see link)  which have very similar temples, but I can't make the legend work.

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Thanks for looking

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re: Unknown Temple reverse - Prov
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 03:26:06 pm »
Looking at the capricorn in front of Augustus' head and reverse legend AYTOKPATOPA KAICAPA, I guess this is Augustus, Pergamum mint.
Probably one of the posthumous coins of Augustus, RPC I 2355 (struck under Trajan?).

obv: ΠEPΓAMHNOI CεBACTON, laureate head right; behind, capricorn
rev: AYTOKPATOPA KAICAPA, temple with four columns enclosing statue of Augustus; below monogram

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:50:44 pm »
BY JOVE, YOU'VE GOT IT!    Thank you very much Luigi!  I recently purchased RPC I and with the coin in hand , I feel very confident that it is this issue.  If I may ask, since I am new to using RPC,  did use recognize the issue just from the picture, or did you use something in RPC or another tool to narrow it down?

Thank you again,

Kurt

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:01:08 am »
Not this time.
I actually saw a similar reverse (same mint, different ruler) posted here a couple of days ago:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=52380.0

I therefore simply rely on (and used) the knowledge of someone else.

regards
Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:05:37 am »
Thanks for the help.  That one has been giving me fits for 10 months.  My coin is obviously a different die.  The left side of the reverse legend travels clockwise as opposed to counterclockwise in the plate coin.  However, I can clearly read HNOI from 10 to 11 o"clock and all the rest fits.  Thanks again!

Kurt

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:13:48 am »
.....  The left side of the reverse legend travels clockwise as opposed to counterclockwise in the plate coin. 

I agree if you mean specimen #3 on plate 104, but # 5 is like yours: KAICAPA is clearly clockwise and also AY are in the same position.

Luigi

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 12:14:01 pm »
Sorry Luigi,  I meant the obverse legend.  On 2355/5 in the plates, the obverse legend on the left starts at about 10 o'clock with the  :Greek_Pi: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Gamma: traveling counter clockwise where mine ends at that same position HNOI traveling clockwise.  The right side of the legend is the same.  Sorry about the confusion.

Kurt

All coins are guaranteed for eternity