Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rome:Total War  (Read 5657 times)

Scipio Helveticus

Rome:Total War
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:05:59 am »
I got this computer strategy game this Xmas and was totally blown away by it . I wonder if anyone else has played it? Just one question on my part: How the hell do you defeat that Macedonian phalanx??!!!!! :-[

Offline Jake

• Praetorian
Re: Rome:Total War
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:46:56 am »
This game has been out for a while now, but I still love it.  The trick to beating the phalanx is with calvary... they are slow moving and extremely weak if you8 get behind them..........  So, have your core army attack them, and sweep around and attack from the sides or rear and they will rout quickly.

Using archers works well against them too, but decent ones aren't availiable until later in the game.

I imagine you are starting as the Julii?

Scipio Helveticus

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:47:25 pm »
Thanks for the advice! I tried something similar but found that by setting the diificulty to easy instead of hard was a lot better!
I started out with the Brutii and foolishly declaered war on Macedonia!!
The interesting thing about the game is that allows the players to customise their own battles. I have already tried pitting Roman infantry against Carthaginian allies on the Italian lowlands, but any attempt to reproduce Canne ends up in one big melee!!

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 06:05:28 pm »
You're obviously the wrong Scipio to deal with Carthage!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Jake

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:34:36 pm »
Macedonia can be tough starting out- My biggest tip for playing the campains is to take care of your Generals.  A good General can make a huge difference in a battle.  When you are gifted with a good young one, Make him your heir and groom with battles to improve his traits.  When you have a good leader in charge it will make the whole faction run smoother.

There are so many aspects to this game!

Scipio Helveticus

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 07:43:02 am »
Well, thats Macedonia dealt with! Yeah, I lost one General in combat, and the rest of the army scampered, even though I was winning! But you're right, there are so many aspects to the game with the administrative and finanacial sides being pivotal to millitary successes.

Its a pity you cant mint your own coins in the game though! :)

Scipio Helveticus

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 07:44:58 am »
You're obviously the wrong Scipio to deal with Carthage!

Well Robert, it wasnt a question of my generalship, but rather the abillity the play the game!!!

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 10:28:51 pm »
 :evil: It's the only game I have on computer. Play it at least twice a week. Must say it is good to defeat Hannibal at Trasimene. Only took me two attempts - bit quicker than the Romans. Looking forward to more powerful computers and a more elaborate version of the game some time in the future.

Have any of you won the Batle of Cynoscephalae in the Historical Battles section? Flamininus won there but I get beaten every time.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 12:16:20 pm »
Is this out for Macs yet?  It sounds like an amazing game, but last I checked it was only for PCs..

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 01:18:32 pm »
It is very, very good.  So good in fact they managed to make a TV series based around it - here in the UK - called Time Commanders, where teams would try their hand at famous battles.  Some experts were at hand chipping with titbits of info throughout

Here is the wikipedia link for those interested
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Commanders

MAlcolm

AncientCoins

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 08:45:02 pm »
The U.S. aired a show called "Decisive Battles," which used the R:TW engine and recreated famous battles.  It aired on the History Channel, but didn't last for long.

Andrew

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 09:18:14 pm »
:evil: It's the only game I have on computer. Play it at least twice a week. Must say it is good to defeat Hannibal at Trasimene. Only took me two attempts - bit quicker than the Romans. Looking forward to more powerful computers and a more elaborate version of the game some time in the future.

Have any of you won the Batle of Cynoscephalae in the Historical Battles section? Flamininus won there but I get beaten every time.

Hi

I have won at Cyno with the Romans using quite unorthodox tactics! Basically I have scrambled all troops to the right (esp. quickly the cavalry and elephants) and routed the poorly set-up Macedonian left-wing phalanx. This requires fluidity of movement (attack/withdraw repeat) whilst realigning your inf to face the approaching Macedonain phalanx moving over from their right (your left) through the trees/hill which slows them down nicely.

A somewhat 'Pyrrhic' victory but successful.

Brgds

Alex
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 12:18:51 am »
 ;D Actually, just after my post on Jan. 4 I decided to have another go at Cynoscephalae and won with almost identical tactics described by AlexB. Very much a Pyrrhic victory though - I only had half a unit of hastati left!
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Paul Adkins

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 10:39:16 am »
has anyone played Empire Earth, is it anything like that? Paul

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 10:47:07 am »
Quote from: Scipio Helveticus on January 02, 2007, 02:05:59 am
How the hell do you defeat that Macedonian phalanx??!!!!! :-[

See the thread:https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=34299.0

The Battle of Cynoscephalae
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline b70

• Praetorian
    • Ab Urbe Condita
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 01:28:55 pm »
It's the only game I have on computer.

I have this and Medievel Total War too Gilgamesh. That's it. I am addicted to both. Hours go by in the blink of an eye playing either of them.

has anyone played Empire Earth, is it anything like that? Pau

It's been a long time since I played Empire Earth. It's a great game but not very similiar in my opinion.

I just finished a campaign last week as Carthage. Those armored war elephants are alot of fun.

w.kutschenko

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 03:46:13 pm »
i've bought the game at the weekend. it's absolute fantastic. after all the years it replaced civ3 as my favorite

@Paul
Empire Earth is more likely Age of Empires, but goes thru the ages till modern times

greetings,
vyacheslav

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 08:11:43 am »
Tital war?  Bought it, installed, it, it won't run.  I'll try again with the next PC I buy.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 12:44:32 am »
 ;D I'm using an AMD 2000 processor, etc. computer I built from bits five years ago. Bee's knee at the time but antique now. Total War had trouble playing at first but improved when I put in a slightly better graphics card (Radeon 9500). Perhaps that will help and spare you the expense of a new computer.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 05:21:01 am »
Well, the computer is happy with Half Life 2 and Oblivion.  But if I try to run TW after installation, it reads the DVD for a while, then says there is an error and closes the window. It has an Intel Prentium 4, 3.2ghz chip and Radeon X800 series graphics.  Not the newest, but less than 3 years old.  I would have thought it would be OK with Total War.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Laetitia

• Praetorian
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 09:13:32 am »
Your computer should run it fine

What error messaging are you receiving?

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 09:16:21 am »
The standard Windows one that says the application has run into  an error and needs to close down, and would I like to notify Microsoft.  There is no option to see any more about the error if I do notify them.

I have tried installing and running while on and off line, with antivirus and pop-up blocker on and off .. same message.

Offline Laetitia

• Praetorian
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 09:43:54 am »
When you put the dvd in does it autorun and the game's splash window appear so you can select play from there?  Is the disk damaged or scratched at all?  Do you see the game's introductory video? 

The only things I can suggest at the moment is to install the latest patch for the game and if that doesn't work to uninstall the game and then re-install it (if you havn't tried that already).

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 12:14:57 pm »
When you put the dvd in does it autorun and the game's splash window appear so you can select play from there?  Is the disk damaged or scratched at all?  Do you see the game's introductory video? 

1. Yes.  If I select play, I get a smaller splash with the game title, about 3 minutes of reading the DVD, then the error message.
2. No. 
3. No.

The only things I can suggest at the moment is to install the latest patch for the game and if that doesn't work to uninstall the game and then re-install it (if you havn't tried that already).

4. I have the gold edition, patched to 1.4, and there are no more patches for that.  (Patch version 1.5 is incompatible, I tried it.)

5.  Many times!  Including once more for luck after I ready your last message.

Thanks anyway ...

Scipio Helveticus

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 04:09:35 am »
;D Actually, just after my post on Jan. 4 I decided to have another go at Cynoscephalae and won with almost identical tactics described by AlexB. Very much a Pyrrhic victory though - I only had half a unit of hastati left!

I tried this out this morning and fared better. I still had 275 men after the Macedonians left the field. Only I held back the elephants until the last minute, bringing them to the rear of the Macedonian left to create havoc! When the main body engaged mine, it was an uphill climb for them since they had to swing around. At this point I brought in the cavalry and elephants upon their rear. I have now completley leraned how to control my troops, so it helps a lot!

Has anyone tried the Teutoberg Forest? See if you can better Varus? ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity