Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Eugenius  (Read 1115 times)

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
Eugenius
« on: August 27, 2021, 08:38:17 am »
Afternoon Guys, as the topic suggests I'm pretty sure the coin is 'meant' to be Eugenius but given the reverse looks like a she wolf and Romulus and Remus and I can't find any coin like this I presume it's another dude!? I am unable to post weight and dimensions currently but can do at a later date if required.

Cheers as always for any help Stuart

Offline Will A. Hooton

• Praetorian
Re: Eugenius
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 09:04:01 am »
Very odd style for Eugenius....and the legend says Eugenius. Doesn't look official to me.

Collecting Roman Imperial, Provincial and Russian Medieval and Imperial coinage.

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 09:07:40 am »
Afternoon Will its certainly an odd coin, its come from a seemingly trustworthy seller who certainly sells genuine Roman coins so potentially he has let a dud note dude slip through his net. In all likeliness i shall probably make contact with him and see where i stand with it. Cheers Stuart

Offline Will A. Hooton

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 09:11:13 am »
I am not expert in this era but the style of the bust certainly stands out from the others. I don't say its a modern copy. My theory was of a contemporary imitation.
However, I'd wait and see what the others say. Maybe someone has the appropriate references at hand.
Collecting Roman Imperial, Provincial and Russian Medieval and Imperial coinage.

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 09:52:11 am »
Cheers for your opinion Will, be interesting to see if anybody has anything else to add

Offline Will A. Hooton

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 11:54:56 am »
No problem Stu. I hope someone else can authenticate it as genuine for you!

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 01:01:38 pm »
Hi folks,

Has this coin been tooled?

Meepzorp

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 01:05:31 pm »
Sorry Meep I'm a complete novice so not entirely sure what that means or how I can demonstrate that with pictures but I'm happy to try under suggestion :)

Offline Will A. Hooton

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 02:17:47 pm »
Tooling means some skilled person in engraving takes a low grade coin and sharpens. The details using a graver... Or makes an entirely new design from a crud flan.

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 02:36:52 pm »
Ah cheers Will, I would not have the foggiest idea on how to tell if that was the case with this coin infairness I wouldn't even no where to begin.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 08:40:00 pm »
I think it is just a modern fake.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 06:55:16 am »
I agree with djmacdo, your coin looks like it´s the handiwork of a certain Yugoslavian forger. They use a multitude of names on a certain website, the majority of which can be found in NFSL.

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 07:33:13 am »
Cheers guys appreciate the feedback. It was bought off of said site but i check the nfsl and it wasn't from somebody on there and the seller had flawless feedback and all the other roman coins looked perfectly legit to me. So not sure it would be entirely fair to have him added to the list but not sure how that works on here? Cheers again guys. Have a good weekend

Offline Will A. Hooton

• Praetorian
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 07:51:28 am »
I wouldn't add anyone to the fake sellers list for a one off. But since the coin is dubious, I would definitely expect my money back. Have a nice weekend you too!

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 07:49:31 am »
Yes, a terrible fake
Richard (who also lives in Ottawa)
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2021, 10:10:57 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 09:04:44 am »
Looks like it is from the same engraver as one which is made from modern dies and sold out of Serbia. I tried to attach images to this thread but have failed. I get a 503 Forbidden message if I try to attach anything

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 04:38:12 pm »
Cheers guys appreciate the feedback. It was bought off of said site but i check the nfsl and it wasn't from somebody on there and the seller had flawless feedback and all the other roman coins looked perfectly legit to me. So not sure it would be entirely fair to have him added to the list but not sure how that works on here? Cheers again guys. Have a good weekend

You cannot actually decide if this seller will or will not be added to the list.  You only need to decide if you should nominate the seller. Then others may comment. Sellers are not added to the list unless I am convinced they are intentionally or repeatedly negligently selling fakes. I must believe they are a notorious fraud and then I will add the seller to the list. To nominate or not to nominate is entirely up to you.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 04:23:11 am »
Images of coin mentioned above

Offline ChefStu22

• Consul
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2022, 05:45:34 am »
Sorry Joe, I shall be honest I forgot to check this thread and have only just seen your reply. This was the first time I had purchased from this seller, but from looking at the other coins he was selling which in my humble opinion all looked legit and his feedback I would like to think that he bought this coin for the same reason as I did because it was unusual  when evidently should have set off alarm bells because it was unusual as it was fake 🤦 but we live and learn thank you for the clarification on how the fake sellers list is added to. Sorry again for such a late reply

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2022, 02:18:39 pm »
No worries.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS