Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman coinage-an honest reflection of human nature?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Roman coinage-an honest reflection of human nature?
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2021, 07:37:24 pm »

Hey Virgil:  That is exactly the question I have wrestled with for some time.  Yes, I ultimately decided, as you have, that even the XXI pre-reform silvered billon radiates should be considered, legitimately, an RSC FOR PURPOSES OF COLLECTING RSCs. But, I don't think the pre-1965 and post-1964 U.S. silver coinage comparison is exactly apple to apples.  To be sure, dropping from the 70 % silver Ants of Caracalla to the 4.5 % Ants of Aurelian, Probus or Diocletion was a transformation to fiat currency, there nevertheless was an INTENTIONAL inclusion of the white precious metal in the alloy and the surface.  From 1964 to 1965, at least with the primary coins of circulation-- the dime and quarter-- the U.S. went from 90 % silver directly to fiat coinage.

I can't argue with your logic on the US vs billon coins. For me, it is a perceptual thing I suppose or reflects my age. It is one reason I like Bronze coinage and I find it interesting that there was resistance to the introduction of bronze in the Greek world because it was fiat. That of course opens up a can of worms as to how coins were actually used in the beginning. Certainly not to buy a loaf of bread.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity