Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An unlisted variety from Nikopolis ?  (Read 534 times)

Offline clueless

• Caesar
An unlisted variety from Nikopolis ?
« on: December 13, 2015, 12:25:16 pm »
Dear Board,

I have here yet another variety from Nikopolis with a snake entwined on a tripod with the difference that the snake is entwined to the left.

This is a variety of AMNG/I 1424, but AMNG doesn't mention which direction the snake is entwined.

obv: AV. K L C CEVHROC   apparently the same die as HHJ 8.14.47.19, laureate head right

rev: NIKOPOLITWN PROC ICT snake entwined to the left on tripod

Weight: 3.4 g

diameter: 16 mm

The reverse legend is a little difficult due to part of it being off the flan and some pitting at the end of the legend, but I can see a weak CT at the end that I didn't manage to catch on the attached picture.

I conclude that the legend apparently contains the full name NIKOPOLITWN by comparing to other reverses. This doesn't seem to be a die used for striking for Caracalla.

Any comments are welcome !

Clueless

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: An unlisted variety from Nikopolis ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 02:28:27 pm »
Hi clueless!

The obv. is obviously HrHJ (2015) 8.14.47.19 (same die). The rev. legend is difficult to identify.
(1) The depiction is like 8.14.47.19, outer coin. The inner coin has the coils from lower left to upper right, whereas the outer coin like your coin from lower right to upper left. Actually these 2 types are different and own its own numbers!
(2) Now the legend: 8.14.47.19 has NIKOPOLITWN PROC I, but on your coin the position of P from PROC is a bit higher, so that it is possible that the legend ends with IC. But I think there is not enough evidence to add this coin to Nikopolis Addenda #4.

Best regards
Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity